Neutral Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavrck

I'm working on figuring a neutral calculation for a 120/208 volt 400 amp feeder. I have looked through the code , but i think i have confused myself more than any thing. Does #3 neutral sound correct? I'm pulling 500 kcmil to the Sub panel and #3 just seems small . Thx

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The neutral will have to be sized to carry the load but the minimum would be a #3 Cu See 215.2(A)(2)

mavrck

So I’m little confused. I understand you have to figure you loads for the neutral but why wouldn’t you just use this table if that works? I think that’s my confusion.
And does any wye connected neutral have be sized the same as the ungrounded conductors or is it only the 3 wire getting fed from a wye. 220.61c1

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We very rarely see reduced size neutrals in feeder conductors for panels but they are permitted. As Augie stated the neutral is sized based on the calculated neutral load but cannot be smaller than in your case #3 AWG.

And does any wye connected neutral have be sized the same as the ungrounded conductors or is it only the 3 wire getting fed from a wye. 220.61c1

Because in that 3-wire circuit the neutral can carry current equal to that of the ungrounded conductors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is it best practice to size neutral same as feeder conductors if load is unknown

Yes that would be the case. In residential it is common to see the neutral sized one size down from the hot conductors because there are usually many 240 volt circuits without, or with limited use, neutral current.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it best practice to size neutral same as feeder conductors if load is unknown
IMO yes unless unknown means that there is no neutral load at all and just a feeder to a panel. Then you could use the minimum size.

mavrck

No I’m just referring to installing a sub panel in commercial/ residential applications and loads could vary depending on equipment change over time. I know that doesn’t really apply to residential

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You need to look at the 120 volt loads to do the neutral calculation. The more 120 volt loads you have on a single phase, the larger the neutral has to be.

mavrck

Got it. Thank you for the help, sometimes I get to questioning myself after reading so much . I was on the right page .

Status
Not open for further replies.