Neutral Conductor Sizing (NEC2023)

Abraham V

Occupation
Student
Reviewing Example D2(a). When calculating feeder neutral load, why are the water heater and space heater not counted? Why is the dishwasher counted?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Without seeing the calculation I would guess that the two types of heaters do not have a neutral as they are 240 volt loads. Dishwashers are typically 120 volts.

Abraham V

Occupation
Student
Without seeing the calculation I would guess that the two types of heaters do not have a neutral as they are 240 volt loads. Dishwashers are typically 120 volts.
The question says, "2.5 kW water heater, 1.2 kW dishwasher, 9 kW of electric space heating installed in five rooms..." along with the rest of the loads that are taken into account. I'm looking for something to specifically tell me whether each is a 240 V or 120V load. I guess I just need time and familiarity.

Thanks!

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
The question says, "2.5 kW water heater, 1.2 kW dishwasher, 9 kW of electric space heating installed in five rooms..." along with the rest of the loads that are taken into account. I'm looking for something to specifically tell me whether each is a 240 V or 120V load. I guess I just need time and familiarity.

Thanks!

They didn't say it, but those are assumed to be 240V loads. Or at least that is what the problem assumed.

Good Catch.