Neutral in the switchbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squantum

Hello all,
Would like to see if there is an easier way.I am installing a paddle fan/light, with three way switching for the luminaire and single pole for the fan. Feed the two gang containing the 3-way and single pole, 14-3 to a dead end 3-way in other box. Lastly 14-3 up to fan box to control fan/light. I was thinking of running a 14-2 feed to the box of the dead end three way.At that box I would just cap off the introduced 14-2. Short of a 14-4,any ideas? Is method legal?

Thanks for your help.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hello all,
Would like to see if there is an easier way.I am installing a paddle fan/light, with three way switching for the luminaire and single pole for the fan. Feed the two gang containing the 3-way and single pole, 14-3 to a dead end 3-way in other box. Lastly 14-3 up to fan box to control fan/light. I was thinking of running a 14-2 feed to the box of the dead end three way.At that box I would just cap off the introduced 14-2. Short of a 14-4,any ideas? Is method legal?

Thanks for your help.
If it can in fact satisfy the neutral in box requirement, the 14-2 would have to be fed from the same branch circuit as the luminaire and fan. It seems to me (not good for much) that it would be legal.

Jljohnson

Why not just use a 14/4? I think what you purpose would satisfy the letter of the code, until the neutral conductor actually got used for something, then you would not have "all conductors of a circuit contained within the same raceway or cable".

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
... then you would not have "all conductors of a circuit contained within the same raceway or cable".
I think there has to be a bit more to this than meets the eye, or else you would not be able to run a switch leg loop containing only the hot and fixture wires. If you re-interpret that as not having any net current in any single raceway or cable, you would cover that situation, but it still seems like it might prohibit some "accepted" wiring methods.
But I did have the same reservation as you, FWIW.

Volta

I don't understand the purpose of the 14/2 from dead-end to ceiling, unless you want an option to control the fan motor there instead of the current 2-gang in the future.

But regardless of that, assuming this is NM it would be compliant per 300.3(B)(3):
NEC 300.3 said:
(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of
the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor
and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors
shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary
gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or
cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with
300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4)....

(3) Nonferrous Wiring Methods. Conductors in wiring
methods with a nonmetallic or other nonmagnetic sheath,
where run in different raceways, auxiliary gutters, cable
trays, trenches, cables, or cords, shall comply with the provisions
of 300.20(B). Conductors in single-conductor Type
MI cable with a nonmagnetic sheath shall comply with the
provisions of 332.31. Conductors of single-conductor Type
MC cable with a nonmagnetic sheath shall comply with the
provisions of 330.31, 330.116, and 300.20(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.