Neutral to Ground Bond

cgamad550

Occupation
Apprentice
I guys I have a question. I put a new panel in my grandmother's house it was probably 70 years old and a huge mess.
In the old panel neutral to ground was bonded.
At the panel right below the meter ( also very very old ) the service wires comes down into main lugs only ( no main breaker/ disconnect ) the first panel with a main breaker is the one I installed inside.
My question is would the inside panel with a main breaker be the actual first means of disconnect? And if do would I need to bond neutral to ground at the inside panel I just installed?
Thanks in advance guys

cgamad550

Occupation
Apprentice
What breakers are in the first panel and how did you make the connection to supply the second panel?
Hi there's only one breaker that power the electric range. The 2nd panel is connected on feed through lugs. The first actual panel with a main breaker is the panel I replaced in the house. Like I said this was probably installed 60-70 years ago why before my time

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hi there's only one breaker that power the electric range. The 2nd panel is connected on feed through lugs. The first actual panel with a main breaker is the panel I replaced in the house. Like I said this was probably installed 60-70 years ago why before my time
That was never a legal installation. It sounds like that was intended for up to 6 disconnects in the main enclosure. Multiple violations and you need a breaker to supply the conductors to the second panel. The main bonding jumper should be in the first panel and you need to run an EGC to the second panel.
I suggest you have a more experienced electrician look at this. It appears you are in over your head and there are safety issues, the biggest one being the unprotected service conductors running to the second panel.

cgamad550

Occupation
Apprentice
That was never a legal installation. It sounds like that was intended for up to 6 disconnects in the main enclosure. Multiple violations and you need a breaker to supply the conductors to the second panel. The main bonding jumper should be in the first panel and you need to run an EGC to the second panel.
I suggest you have a more experienced electrician look at this. It appears you are in over your head and there are safety issues, the biggest one being the unprotected service conductors running to the second panel.
Don thank you so much I'm going to just install a new 200 amp main panel with a main breaker outside and supply the 100 amp sub panel with 100 2 pole breaker and do a neutral to ground bond at the main panel and install 2 new ground rods and get her house up to code. Thanks for all the info. My friend whom is a master electrician is assisting me on this one