Neutral to Ground Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccarr7

My understanding is that it's ideal to bond the neutral to ground at only one location for an electric service. Therefore, there is only one path for fault current to ground. Many of the meter sockets that I see have the neutral connection bonded to the enclosure itself. With this being the case, is a neutral to ground bond required at the panel, as well? Should the ground and neutral remain isolated at the panel with this bond at the meter socket?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My understanding is that it's ideal to bond the neutral to ground at only one location for an electric service. Therefore, there is only one path for fault current to ground. Many of the meter sockets that I see have the neutral connection bonded to the enclosure itself. With this being the case, is a neutral to ground bond required at the panel, as well? Should the ground and neutral remain isolated at the panel with this bond at the meter socket?

The neutral and ground are the same (bonded together) until you leave the main disconnect. Any connection after the main disconnect will need a separate neutral and ground assuming the circuit needs a neutral.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
CC, first of all, welcome to the zoo! :smile: To expand a bit:

Everything ahead of the main disconnect enclosure ignores the separation rules, so there would be no separate EGC. We think of the meter as a "lump in the service cable."

When metal raceway is used between the meter and main enclosures, there is a technically-improper parallel neutral-current pathway, but we've learned to ignore the conflict.

ccarr7

Thanks for the response, guys. I'll continue with having electricians bond the neutral and ground at the first disconnect and keep them isolated thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.