Neutral to ground tripping ground fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce1x

why with wall switch off and power removed from light outlet with light removed, can you touch the ground wire to the neutral and this trips the gf. neutal and ground split in house power box

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Neutral to ground tripping ground fault

Your question is not clear.
Originally posted by bruce1x: why with wall switch off and power removed . . .
Are you saying that turning off the wall switch is the only thing you did to "remove power"? Or did you figure out what breaker serves the light, and did you turn off that breaker? If you did not turn off the breaker, then you are doing something unsafe.
Originally posted by bruce1x:. . . light outlet with light removed. . .
Do you mean the light fixture has been disconnected electrically and mechanically, and is now sitting on the floor?
Originally posted by bruce1x: you touch the ground wire to the neutral and this trips the gf.
It trips what? Is there a GFCI device protecting the circuit that powers this light fixture? How can it trip, if you turned off the breaker?
Originally posted by bruce1x:. . . neutral and ground split in house power box
I don't understand what you mean by this.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Neutral to ground tripping ground fault

I am going to put a temporary hold on this thread. The wording of the question and the member's profile stating that the occupation is "retired" leads me to wonder if this is a DIY.

I would like to ask the originator, Bruce1x, to send me a Private Message. Look at the FAQ section, if you don't know how. You will need to assure me that you are retired as an electrician or an electrical contractor. If that is not the case, then we are not permitted to assist you in the performance of electrical work at your own home. Please let me invite your attention to the following statement on the home page of this Forum:
This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.