Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I use a common neutral to run two differents circuits?. I belive that not but a co-worker say yes, I say if we miss the neutral everything in those circuit could be damaged. Where Can I find some topic related with it in the NEC

charlie

210.4 Multiwire Branch Circuits.
(A) General.
Branch circuits recognized by this article shall be permitted as multiwire circuits. A multiwire circuit shall be permitted to be considered as multiple circuits.

This is not all of 210.4, look up the rest.

Welcome to the forum. :)

480sparky

Can I use a common neutral to run two differents circuits?. I belive that not but a co-worker say yes, I say if we miss the neutral everything in those circuit could be damaged. Where Can I find some topic related with it in the NEC

An open neutral on a MWBC can, and usually does, cause damage.

Click here for a PowerPoint.

Mule

Excuse me if you already know this, but it's important that you understand that when sharing a neutral your hots must be on different phases. The neutral carries the imbalance of the two hots. So if you mistakenly have your hots on the same phase you can overload the neutral, as the current then adds....

Rewire

I have had discusions on why this is allowed .One thing to remember is when using a MWBC you MUST pigtail the neutral for receptacles this is to prevent opening the neutral causing voltage to backfeed on the neutral.Also in 08 MWBC must be on a handle tied breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.