new addition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was adding a new bedroom to a 40 year old home and the Service has to be
relocated. The inspector came to inspect the new service and the existing panel had to be refeed with 4 wire because of the new disconnect outside. The inspector sees a breaker marked pool and has required the feeder now has to be in conduit and single conductors not SER (the pool is existing above ground ) Is there a code section that requires this?
sorry this post so long.

M. D.

680.25, feeders on the supply side of panelboards supplying branch circuits for pool equipment covered in Part II of Art. 680 Feeders may be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, PVC conduit, or reinforced thermosetting resin conduit [680.25(A)].

Jim Shorts

The TN state amendments to the NEC allow the feeder to be SER cable or any other wiring method specified in chapter 3, if it is installed on a dwelling unit and does not leave the dwelling unit. It cannot be underground to a detached building but if it stays attached to the building it is ok. If you need help send me a pm. I can hook you up with the right people.

Jim Shorts

The TN state amendments to the NEC allow the feeder to be SER cable or any other wiring method specified in chapter 3, if it is installed on a dwelling unit and does not leave the dwelling unit. It cannot be underground to a detached building but if it stays attached to the building it is ok. Look at TCA 0780-02-01-.07

(2) Conductors serving swimming pools which originate at a dwelling unit service euipment or sub-panel located on the interior of the dwelling unit may be installed utilizing the appropriate wiring methods contained in Chapter 3 of the 2008 National Electrical Code. The wiring method shall comploy with Article 680, 2008 National Eleectrical Code regarding that portion of the installation on the exterior of the dwelling unit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
might work BUT some of the areas in TN don;t follow the Sate rules (or ammendments). The major metropolitan areas have there own inspection departments. For example some are still on '05 whole the State is on '08 (amended)

electricmanscott

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. :-?

I think the op re fed the dwellings "service panel" with ser. The pool circuit of course comes from that panel. It seems like the inspector is calling this a "pool panel" and wants that panel fed with a conduit method. The inspector is nuts IMO.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I won't vote on the inspectors mental condition. But I see the problem.
The contractor, in relocating the service, installed a feeder to what used to be the service panel. 680.25 says any feeder involving a pool will be in conduit with an equipment ground.
On the initial installation it was not an issue because the subpanel was originally a service panel. Had that panel originally been a subpanel fed with SER (existing) there would also be not problem.
Now that theres a new feeder to an existing sistuation....do we enforce 680.25(A) or allow the exception.
I have no answer, but that's how I see the problem.

(all the above excluding TN State exceptions allowing cable)

M. D.

I see it too, Gus ,..It does seem to be a violation which was created ,..so how could it have been existing??
As far as branch circuits feeding pools , I've seen a bunch of them

Status
Not open for further replies.