New Business Looking for Guidance

Occupation
Electrician
Hello,

I recently opened up an electrical contracting business (LLC) in the state of Florida, and I have come to find that the qualifications to get my license for the company may take longer than anticipated. I have passed both the technical and business portions of the electrical exam, but I haven't turned in my Unlimited Electrical application yet because my credit score is not where I want it to be nor do I think it is high enough to get me approved. Additionally, I have completed the IEC apprenticeship program. I graduated a in May of 2023, so I believe my experience is okay enough for me to qualify on that aspect, but I am still worried I do not meet the five years requirement in the trade due to one of my previous employers staying that the work I did was not technically "in the trade". this is costing me about 8 months out of the past 5.5 years.

My main topic of concern that I was hoping I could get some help on was, how strict is the requirements for attaining the licensing? I understand all the qualifications based on the application as I have read it about a hundred times. I was just wanting to see if there was anyone that may have started from basically nothing as I am and trying to grow their business to become successful. I really want this bad and I love the field, I just can't seem to figure out how to take the next step to attain the licensing and be able to get to work.

If you have any other questions please let me know and I can answer them, I just need help where you can.

Occupation
Electrician
in the state of Florida, you need the following to be able to attain your unrestricted Electrical License

1. Business Net worth of $10,000
2. Possitive Credit Report with no past due accounts or liens
3. Pass Business and electrical licensing tests
4. 5 years of work history

that is the basics of it but those are the requirements in the state of florida to get your license for your company. the only issue is, they dont specify your minimum credit score and they also dont elaborate on what qualifys as "qualifying work history"

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
My advice is to spend the next year getting the required work history and focus on getting your finances squared away. You are going to struggle if you don’t have some cash/liquidity and credit to open a trade line.

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
Don’t know much about Florida but If there are any easier to get specialty classifications, Low Volt only etc., you could pivot and try for one of those first to build income and a client base.
If not having a license means that you’re essentially a handyman right now then embrace it and make that money $$$.
I ended up with several licenses but they’ve played a very small role in any success - that’s come from contacts, meeting clients needs and quality of work.

Last edited:

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Don’t know much about Florida but If there are any easier to get specialty classifications, Low Volt only etc., you could pivot and try for one of those first to build income and a client base.
If not having a license means that you’re essentially a handyman right now then embrace it and make that money $$$.
I ended up with several licenses but they’ve played a very small role in any success - that’s come from contacts, meeting clients needs and quality of work.
A licensed handyman can go a long ways. So many aren't and I'll throw in if you're one get your locksmith credentials in your state it'll make a lot if you can get signed up with it for people.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Handymen are barred from performing electrical work in the state of Florida.

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
... still worried I do not meet the five years requirement in the trade due to one of my previous employers ...
... My main topic of concern that I was hoping I could get some help on was, how strict is the requirements for attaining the licensing?

Every state will be different, but in general most gov offices lack the manpower to vet each applicant. Instead they either randomly select a sampling or flag the most obvious, the latter I'm sure they do anyways. Could be wrong of course. The worst that can happen is that they reject the application for now, or maybe work with you, or at least give you some info that helps in some way. Wouldn't be the first time that they've heard of a previous employer throwing shade on an employee. Once you've built up a bank account to meet the solvency requirement, put down what you think is correct for work experience. The State just wants their money, sometimes to meet quotas, whatever. By approving you those annual / bi-annual etc. taxes / fees start rolling in, and then the bond & insurance companies can come knocking for a piece of the pie.