New construction pre-wire conduit size in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an inspector in California that is saying that on new construction homes, you have to use 1" conduit from the roof down.

Anybody familiar with what CEC code he is referring to on new construction? We've always used 3/4" unless it was so large of a system that the conduit fill need larger, etc.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm not familiar with that and very much doubt he is correct. Given that, with today's panels and inverters, a 3/4" conduit can easily provide for an 8kw system and often much bigger, requiring 1" would be excessive.

You should ask him to cite the code section. If I'm wrong I'd like to know what it is.

Zee

According to City of San Rafael:
In single and two-family dwellings up to 2,500 square feet with the electrical service located on the exterior of a garage wall, a run of one ¾” electrical metallic tubing (EMT).........

Dwellings over 2,500 square feet will require 1” EMT conduit.

- Multi-family dwellings will require 1” EMT conduit.

According to City of San Rafael:
In single and two-family dwellings up to 2,500 square feet with the electrical service located on the exterior of a garage wall, a run of one ¾” electrical metallic tubing (EMT).........

Dwellings over 2,500 square feet will require 1” EMT conduit.

- Multi-family dwellings will require 1” EMT conduit.

Hmmm.

These are condos so maybe it's the 'multi-family' dwelling.

I'll see if I can find anything in the 2016 CED.

Thanks everybody.

jaggedben

Occupation
Hmmm.

These are condos so maybe it's the 'multi-family' dwelling.

I'll see if I can find anything in the 2016 CED.

Thanks everybody.

This link seems to contain the official state requirements (energy code) and there's nothing in there about conduit.

https://energycodeace.com/site/cust...ndatoryrequirementsforsolarreadybuildings.htm

From google it seems like there is a hodgepodge of local requirements. Again, I'd ask the inspector to show you chapter and verse.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sorry for the lateness of the reply, I was out of town.

The empty conduit requirement is in the California Green code. It is CA law for new construction.
There is no local amendment of this , just that many AHJ make one think because of the wording on internal docs that it is their own.

Green code 4.106.4.1
Install a listed raceway to accommodate a dedicated 208/240-volt branch circuit for each dwelling unit.
• Raceway shall not be less than trade size 1 (nominal 1-inch inside diameter).
• Raceway shall originate at the main service or subpanel and terminate into a listed cabinet, box or other enclosure in close proximity to the proposed location of an EV charger.
• Raceways are required to be continuous at enclosed, inaccessible or concealed areas and spaces.
• Service panel and/or subpanel shall provide capacity to install a 40-ampere minimum dedicated branch circuit and space(s) reserved to permit installation of a branch circuit overcurrent protective device. Service panel or subpanel circuit

The empty conduit requirement is in the California Green code. It is CA law for new construction.
There is no local amendment of this , just that many AHJ make one think because of the wording on internal docs that it is their own.

Green code 4.106.4.1
Install a listed raceway to accommodate a dedicated 208/240-volt branch circuit for each dwelling unit.
• Raceway shall originate at the main service or subpanel and terminate into a listed cabinet, box or other enclosure in close proximity to the proposed location of an EV charger.
• Raceways are required to be continuous at enclosed, inaccessible or concealed areas and spaces.
• Service panel and/or subpanel shall provide capacity to install a 40-ampere minimum dedicated branch circuit and space(s) reserved to permit installation of a branch circuit overcurrent protective device. Service panel or subpanel circuit

Interesting.

Thank you all for your help!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Ya know what is funny ,
Is it may be cheaper to just install a 50 amp outlet for a EV charger than a empty conduit in some cases. I wonder if that will suffice.

jaggedben

Occupation

Green code 4.106.4.1

Is that for solar or for an EV charger? It mentions an EV charger and says nothing about the roof.

Ya know what is funny ,
Is it may be cheaper to just install a 50 amp outlet for a EV charger than a empty conduit in some cases. I wonder if that will suffice.

In this situation, the builder is going to have us put solar on the buildings, but they are having us pre-wire (conduit) before they sheet rock the walls.

So it's their building inspection that is saying that we can't use 3/4" conduit even though the solar systems are very small. (2 X #10 and 1 X #8 wire for the conduit)

We don't understand why they say it has to be 1" conduit. (but it's not even our permit as of yet)

So it's a difficult situation with a super barking about needing to get his walls closed up but the inspector says we put the wrong size conduit.

Going back out to change to 1" in a 3 story building is such a complete waste of time and material when we know 3/4" is what we use on everything else.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The Calgreen is for EV. I don't know of a conduit required for PV although you need a pathway shown on the plans.

jaggedben

Occupation
In this situation, the builder is going to have us put solar on the buildings, but they are having us pre-wire (conduit) before they sheet rock the walls.

So it's their building inspection that is saying that we can't use 3/4" conduit even though the solar systems are very small. (2 X #10 and 1 X #8 wire for the conduit)

We don't understand why they say it has to be 1" conduit. (but it's not even our permit as of yet)

So it's a difficult situation with a super barking about needing to get his walls closed up but the inspector says we put the wrong size conduit.

Going back out to change to 1" in a 3 story building is such a complete waste of time and material when we know 3/4" is what we use on everything else.

First, get those permits approved so you can show him that 3/4" is fine.

Second, keep asking that inspector to show you chapter and verse.

Status
Not open for further replies.