New electrical instructor, looking for resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

field_2_fork

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, looks like a very helpful group here and I'm hoping to get some help myself.

After 18 years on the tools (mainly oil & gas, industrial, some wind farms, a little commercial) I've decided to hang up the pouch and recently started instructing first period electrical at the college here.

It's been great re-learning all the basics that I've long forgotten. Every year since getting my ticket I've said I was going to pull out my old notes and review, but of course that never happens, especially when you're busy.

There's definitely a lot that I will miss about being in the field, but so far I'm really liking my new role, especially the last 2 weeks when the cold has finally hit us and temps are -20 to -30*C, not including windchill.
no.gif

Anyways, I'm looking for advice on websites, youtube etc that I could use for some resources, diagrams etc. I'm just starting to work on lesson plans for when I start lecturing in March. I imagine there are other instructors here on the forum, not to mention the rest of you smart and talented sparkys.

Any advice would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I always look for material I can readily adopt, for example Mike Holts Understanding the NEC, Exam Prep or Code changes. By purchasing the required number of books, I get the accompanying power point. then I go thru the material and add pictures or similar.
To develop a class from scratch takes 8 hours for one hour of podium time.

For what I do Mikes material is great. But I have a couple of classes I have done myself

Regards
Tom Baker, Master Electrician, BS Education

chris1971

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, looks like a very helpful group here and I'm hoping to get some help myself.

After 18 years on the tools (mainly oil & gas, industrial, some wind farms, a little commercial) I've decided to hang up the pouch and recently started instructing first period electrical at the college here.

It's been great re-learning all the basics that I've long forgotten. Every year since getting my ticket I've said I was going to pull out my old notes and review, but of course that never happens, especially when you're busy.

There's definitely a lot that I will miss about being in the field, but so far I'm really liking my new role, especially the last 2 weeks when the cold has finally hit us and temps are -20 to -30*C, not including windchill.
no.gif

Anyways, I'm looking for advice on websites, youtube etc that I could use for some resources, diagrams etc. I'm just starting to work on lesson plans for when I start lecturing in March. I imagine there are other instructors here on the forum, not to mention the rest of you smart and talented sparkys.

Any advice would be great.

You could always throw in some code questions into your lectures. Makes for a good time.:thumbsup:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would get permission before using someone else's material.

I think he only needs permission if he is going to photo copy parts of MH books or CD or prints the slides on paper. If the OP buys the whole instructor's program set then what permission does he need?

Status
Not open for further replies.