New format and function not good

infinity

Staff member
The old version of the software was full of security vulnerabilities and needed to be updated to a more modern, more secure version.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Recent Posts.. gone. That's a security risk?
The plan is that the New Topics button and Topics by date should provide the functionality of the old Recent Posts button.
I can say that, based on my experiences on another Forum that made the v4 to v5 jump, the admin team has done an exceptional job of retaining the look and feel of the Forum.
Let's wait and see what additional tweaks can be done once the new version is stable.

kwired

Electron manager
The plan is that the New Topics button and Topics by date should provide the functionality of the old Recent Posts button.
I can say that, based on my experiences on another Forum that made the v4 to v5 jump, the admin team has done an exceptional job of retaining the look and feel of the Forum.
Let's wait and see what additional tweaks can be done once the new version is stable.
Needs to filter out posts that have already been read

gadfly56

Needs to filter out posts that have already been read
It took me 2 minutes to figure out how to do "reply". Maybe it could use, oh, I don't know, a REPLY button?!?

And yes, needs to filter out read posts.

Really, I don't mind new functionality, just don't break the old functionality.

MAC702

How do you get the list of "threads with new posts in them?" I don't want to see a list of posts; I want to see a list of updated threads, without snippets.

Someone please PM with how to do that because I don't think I'll be able to find this later.

Improvements are one thing; but making it completely different is another.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Help! It took me ten minutes to get this far. Are there any forum instructions? Where is the "new posts" since last visit button?

Please add me to the "do not like" list!

grich

A hobby forum I am a member of got wiped out because old hosting software got hacked by the Russkies. I fully understand the need to update the software, and that most new versions of forum software are designed to look good on mobile devices to the detriment of desktop viewing. Having a working forum is a good thing...I will adjust.

K8MHZ

It took me 2 minutes to figure out how to do "reply". Maybe it could use, oh, I don't know, a REPLY button?!?
It took me a while to figure it out too, but IIRC, this is the way it was done a long time ago on an earlier software version.

texie

My, my don't we sparkeys hate change. I'll reserve judgement until we've had some experience with it.

LarryFine

The more I try to use the new forum, the more i HATE it! Is there a way to use the last format?

I would hate to have to stop visiting here, but something needs to be fixed. Please!!!

Fulthrotl

~~Please excuse the mess. Sig under construction~~
I can probably live with anything else, but that feature is pretty important to me.
well, apparently, my thoughts on this fine "upgrade" are not that unique.
i'm going out and work on the backyard for a week. i'll see if there is anything left after that point.

this is just irritating. maybe if posting falls off, it might get the powers that be's attention. or not.

winnie

Like an easier way to respond to a post for example?
In the old version each post had a 'reply' button. In this version each post has a 'quote' button that seems to do the same thing.

What I don't like is losing the 'threads with new posts since my last search', and I much prefer to see a denser listing of the threads returned by that search.

-Jon

gar

190813-1226 EDT

This software has clearly not been tested. It is junk as it stands.

The back function causes some sort of rollup instead of a quick switch back.

To start a reply you have to go to the right side of the screen instead of the left.

The page heading when first entering the site has Mike Holt in white letters on a grey background. Invisible.

In the list of threads the last poster is not there anymore, just time and date.

When in a list of threads it is necessary to click on the title somewhere on the left, not anywhere on the title to access the thread. This is because the thread starter has become a part of the title hardly noticeable as separated by the word "by" which has become part of the title. At least change the color and size of "by".

This is not a user friendly design.

User interface does not need to change to eliminate vulnerabilities.

When I select something like General Electrical Forum, then that title is partly overlaid by its description.

What happened to the quote function?

When clicking on the double arrow of "last post" why the roll down display, just go there.

When in preview "close" should read "close preview", or "return to editing".

After working on a post and saving it just return. Get rid of the roll down junk.

gar

190813-1611 EDT

In this box it says "write something". I move cursor to this box, and "write something" is still present. Only after first character is entered does "write something" go away. This should happen as soon as I place the cursor here. The cursor placement is really the first character, and I need feedback that it actually is here.

When switching between "posts" and "latest activity" the date location changes.

rcarroll why not here? Where do you suggest? Many visitors to this forum can and will read this section.

White heading letters have now become black. Somebody is paying attention.

infinity

Staff member
White heading letters have now become black. Somebody is paying attention.
Just keep in mind this is a work in progress and has only been up and running for 1/2 a day. Keep the suggestions coming some will likely be implemented, unfortunately some will not.

By the way, where is the Campfire Chat forum?
It's right after the Controls and Logic Forum.

zbang

Updating the backend should not force a massive change in the user interface (now also called the "user experience" or UX).
Users should not have to poke around to find old familiar functions; when there's a large change there needs to be enough documentation so we don't have to waste time looking.
There appear to be some serious usability bugs.
Wasting screen real-estate on blank space is not helpful to anyone.
It now takes multiple steps to paste plain text into the edit window (whereas it used to work and should be the default, anyway).
This change ("upgrade"?) does not take into account https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment, often stated as A textbook formulation is: "People are part of the system. The design should match the user's experience, expectations, and mental models."

IMNSHO, the new UX is at best ungainly and at worse something that will make me stop reading the forums.

(grumble grumble, been working with and writing software since the mid 1970s; now get off my lawn :D)

rcarroll

190813-1611 EDT

rcarroll why not here? Where do you suggest? Many visitors to this forum can and will read this section.

Don't know. Don't care. Campfire Chat? I just think it's odd we're in calculations & engineering. That's all. :)

romex jockey

Linking members to social media will not maintain anonymity , Fact is, it's the quickest way to compromise it.

ask me how i know

~RJ~

tw1156

Don't know. Don't care. Campfire Chat? I just think it's odd we're in calculations & engineering. That's all. :)
I'm imagining these discussions placed in this sub forum just taking place in a class/lab setting with good old fashioned chalk board and writing each issue down as opposed to out back in lawn chairs around a campfire drinking beer and guys going 'ayyy' yeah, that too. More sophisticated discussion being out in the public I suppose.

kwired

Electron manager
How do I see only new posits since my last visit? :?
Something I have discovered that sort of works, but not as well as methods from old forum software - go to top of page and click on your user name, select "my recent posts". It seems to indicate which threads have unread posts and even has similar display to click on for "go to first unread post" though it doesn't seem to always go to the first unread post

zbang

Hmm, from the "latest activity" page/tab, there does not seem to be a way to get to the first unread post of a topic.

zbang

OK, yes there is. There's a filter for Latest Activity that selects "new topics only" which is selected by default. That default is not user-friendly.

LarryFine

I want to see all new threads and posts, not only those I have posted in. :ashamed1:

I still don't see my avatar. :happysad:

I'm so disillusioned. :cry:

kec

Wow, so far not many members [Like] no pun intended,this upgrade. They have a thumbs up but no thumbs down, not that I care there is this silly icon.

I'm not a frequent poster but I read all everyday and I'm not sure,but hope the software engineers can tweak this to the members liking.

zbang

OK, yes there is. There's a filter for Latest Activity that selects "new topics only" which is selected by default. That default is not user-friendly.
And.... that setting resets to "new topics only" EVERY TIME.

ActionDave

Staff member
I want to see all new threads and posts, not only those I have posted in. :ashamed1:

I still don't see my avatar. :happysad:

I'm so disillusioned. :cry:
I don't know about the avatars, the new posts or what's new are now "New Topics". It's location does not seem to be consistent. For some it's in a ribbon at the top of the page. For me it's in the Hamburger Menu near the top left, below Mike Holt's logo.

ActionDave

Staff member
At lot of the interface acts like the old, old, version, the one before this last upgrade. Not to be confused with the old, old, old version which was different than all of these.

LarryFine

I don't know about the avatars, the new posts or what's new are now "New Topics". It's location does not seem to be consistent. For some it's in a ribbon at the top of the page. For me it's in the Hamburger Menu near the top left, below Mike Holt's logo.
I have no such menu icon. I'm always on a real computer, by the way.

gar

190814-1541 EDT

On the Axtive Forums page why was name of last poster not included? My notes below answer this question. The real question here should be "why was the last poster not identified as last poster". Information that should be here was not, and information that was present was not correctly identified.

Can't you use something different than "by" to separate the post topic from the name of the topic starter? For example "----" that would provide a visual break.

I would like to see "post reply" the left most in a left justified sequence.

When one points at a tab, the description is displayed in extremely small lettering.

What happened to quote as a function?

"Preview", "Post Reply", "Cancel" should be left justified in my ordering.

On the Active Forums page "Controls & Logic" with "PLC and VFD" below displays "Shunt trip vs interlock" by "Larry Fine" and also Larry Fine's time and date displays. Larry Fine did not start this thread. LincHawk was the starter. Should be displaying the starter of the thread and initial time.

When you enter the "Controls & Logic" page, then "Controls & Logic" is partially overlaid by "PLC and VFD". Here the thread starter is identified as LincHawk, but not the start time and date. Last post time and date are provided, but not the writer of the last post.

Left justify "EDIT".

ActionDave

Staff member
On the list of posts-- at the top of the page you can click NEXT or PREVIOUS; there's no LAST button!

The bottom of the page shows at least 5 buttons; don't know what it shows if there are more... but it needs a LAST button as well.

I looking at
...and I don't see the 'hamburger' menu.
Right above that should be a ribbon that says New Topics, Posts From Last 2 Days, Who's Online....

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
I dunno. I just look at the forums on the main page, start from the top, open each forum and scroll through the topics that I see have activity since I last looked. Same as with any other board I'm a member of. I couldn't care less about all the little details of a boards functionality as long as it's reasonably usable.

What I absolutely won't tolerate is is pop-up ads, video ads and ads in general. There are some boards that pack their pages with over 75% ads leaving less than 25% for the posts. I refuse to go to any of them. Complaints to the admins result in "we have to pay the bills". So if you want to complain, thank Mike we don't have any of that first!
And to anybody here on their mobile device. I don't know how you can stand it! :blink:

-Hal

readydave8

remember
Glad I'm not the only one having a difficult experience with the new format. Since some posters are explaining the main problems better than I can, I will just grumble about something trivial:

I really liked seeing members' location under their name

Also, glad it's not as slow as last night

MAC702

Right above that should be a ribbon that says New Topics, Posts From Last 2 Days, Who's Online....
Nope. I have, in a line, not bulleted like the copy/paste did here:
The "Posts..." links take me to a list of posts, NOT threads. So they are organized purely by most recent, in no useful order. I see no way to even go to the next unread post when I do go to a thread that looks interesting or that I know I participated in before.

MAC702

...I will just grumble about something trivial:

I really liked seeing members' location under their name
Considering how codes, building methods, and even terminology varies throughout the country, much more so the world, this is not trivial. This was critical information.

jaggedben

Both of the features I used most on the old system I can't find.
They were:

-Subscribed Threads

'Today's Posts' is a decent substitute for the first item, but I can only find it on the desktop version, not the mobile.

I also agree that displaying members location was not a trivial feature.

MAC702

...'Today's Posts' is a decent substitute for the first item, but I can only find it on the desktop version, not the mobile.
"Today's Posts" instead of "New Posts" is usually a difference of not being logged in, versus being logged in. I think before I logged in to the downgraded setup, I saw the "Today's Posts" button. Now that I'm logged in, I get neither.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Ok, all you guys NEED to say what browser you are using and/or mobile device because I think this is what is causing the problem.

-Hal

MAC702

As I did mention, Google Chrome browser; on a desktop with Windoze 10.

I shouldn't think this is an uncommon setup to not be supported.

LarryFine

Ok, all you guys NEED to say what browser you are using and/or mobile device because I think this is what is causing the problem.

-Hal
Google Chrome, Windows 7 Home Premium, Toshiba Satellite P755 laptop.

Help me, Obi-wan Kenobe; you're my only hope!

zbang

win7 pro, firefox 56 (older version) w/ ghostery, adbloc+, noscript.

Problem is that the new UI adds a lot of "features" that it seems most of us don't want and that get in the way of actually using the forum. I know I haven't checked nearly as much as before since I always used the "new things" button and the display was more compact.

ETA- another instance- a "Working" box that appears when you press Save or Post or whatever. We know the posting has happened when the page refreshed, the "working" doesn't convey useful info. IMHO, of course.

LarryFine

Why is nobody telling us how to use the forum or showing us instructions? :?

gadfly56

Just keep in mind this is a work in progress and has only been up and running for 1/2 a day. Keep the suggestions coming some will likely be implemented, unfortunately some will not.

It's right after the Controls and Logic Forum.
OK, assuming you have some input, here's what I'd like:

A list of threads (not posts) with new posts.
A list of threads (not posts) that haven't changed since I last logged in.
A marker for each thread I've posted in.

And, a way to make the above viewing experience my default. In other words, some way to make this forum look/feel like the last one.

rlundsrud

It takes waaaaay too long for things to load. I understand concerns about security but couldn't we have used the same basic interface and just fixed the security issues with that. And who beta tested this?? There are more issues than I care to list and many of them have already been pointed out.

Can we please go back to the old interface until you get the bugs worked out. I fear members will stop using this forum if things continue as they are.

rlundsrud

It takes waaaaay too long for things to load. I understand concerns about security but couldn't we have used the same basic interface and just fixed the security issues with that. And who beta tested this?? There are more issues than I care to list and many of them have already been pointed out.

Can we please go back to the old interface until you get the bugs worked out. I fear members will stop using this forum if things continue as they are.

I even got an error when I tried to post this, and that took over a minute just to tell me that.

Samsung S7 using Google chrome

rlundsrud

I even got an error when I tried to post this, and that took several minutes before it displayed this error.

syntax error:
unexpected token error at gson 1

rlundsrud

I even got an error when I tried to post this, and that took several minutes before it displayed this error.

syntax error:
unexpected token G at GSON position 1

rlundsrud

I repeatedly received an error when I tried to post this, and that took several minutes before it displayed this error.

Error while saving content: syntax error:
unexpected token G in JSON at position 1

Aug 15 13:30 CST

PaulMmn

Also receiving:

Error while saving content: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 2 column 1 of the JSON data

while posting a new message.

Using FireFox 43.0.1 (an old version; newer versions don't work with some of my work software).

Windows 10 Enterprise (2017) 64 bit, x64-based processor

Posting brings up the "Working" tab (while the spinning circle from FireFox is also working). Takes a long time.

LarryFine

It's not just a matter of inconvenience. I haven't read or responded to any electrical questions. When I come to the site, I don't know what to do to participate. The only reason I am responding here is because of how important this is to me. The effort has now exceeded the rewards (of which there are none).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
You guys work on jobs and have to get things right before you turn the power on. Sometimes it takes awhile. Take a few days off and relax... I don;t understand all the anxiety over this

LarryFine

I don;t understand all the anxiety over this
You really don't? Then why are you Moderator in Chief?

Why ask us to continue to provide feedback and then ridicule those of us who do?

Our passion for our work and for this forum are related.

Little Bill

Staff member
You really don't? Then why are you Moderator in Chief?

Why ask us to continue to provide feedback and then ridicule those of us who do?

Our passion for our work and for this forum are related.
The Mods have zero control over this. We (most) don't like the way things are either but we know it's a work in progress. I replied to one of your posts explaining the "Webmaster" is unavailable for a few days but promised to get back to it when he gets back.
We want feedback but we can't answer everything and there no use in getting upset over it.
So please, just make a list of wants, needs, questions, complaints, etc. in a civil manner and we will make sure they are addressed.
If you just can't handle it the way it is now, just stay away for a while and hopefully the Webmaster can correct some things.

LarryFine

If that's what you want, good-bye.

Please email me when there's a reason to return.

larry@fineelectricco.com

Okay, I'll tell you what I would like. A way to come to the forum, see what has been added since my last visit, and respond with questions or answers.

Just like we used to be able to do.

LarryFine

I understand there are bugs. What I don't understand is why nobody is telling us how to navigate the site until then.

Something like "To see all new posts since your last visit in one place, click on xxx, then on yyy, then on zzz."

Better yet, "Go to your member settings and change xxx to yyy." Whoever designed the software must know how.

Little Bill

Staff member
I understand there are bugs. What I don't understand is why nobody is telling us how to navigate the site until then.

Something like "To see all new posts since your last visit in one place, click on xxx, then on yyy, then on zzz."

Better yet, "Go to your member settings and change xxx to yyy." Whoever designed the software must know how.
As I said, The Webmaster would be the one to help and he is unavailable.
Something you might try is to use Mozilla Firefox and see if it changes things any.
You said you didn't have the "new topics" button/link, that's how I've been navigating.and I use Firefox.
It works but it is still not how it used to work. Hopefully it will be fixed.

BTW, I don't want you or anyone to leave. It probably didn't read right in my posts but all I meant was don't let it upset you, just give it a break until things can be hopefully resolved.