New Ground Wire Bonding Location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsteedaz

Hey guys, I am re-working the entire electrical system in an older house, (taking out all of the peg and tube wiring and replacing with romex) and I have a question about the grounding electrode. It is a 100 amp service so I know that I only need 6 AWG copper (I am using bare, stranded), but I am unclear of where this electrode must be bonded to the water piping system. The water lines are all being replaced, and as of right now the current grounding electrode is bonded to the water line about 6-8" from where it enters the basement, right below a shut-off valve a total distance of about 45' from the panel. The piping is to be re-routed to go to the bathroom, washer, water heater, etc., but the bottom line is that it will come to within 10' from the panel for the water heater. My question is can I bond onto this new copper piping at any point, or does it have to be below the shut off valve? Any help is greatly appreciated and also any other suggestions as well. Thanks alot guys!

nsteedaz

Where on Incoming Water Pipe is Ground Required?

Where on Incoming Water Pipe is Ground Required?

I've got a 100A service with the current ground (#8 THHN Stranded) run about 75' to water's entrance to the house. It is bonded to the water line about 6-8" from the piping's entrance to the house and about 4" below the water shut off valve. Does my new EGC have to be bonded in the same place or can I move past the shut-off down the piping closer to the panel (piping is being replaced all new past the shut off valve)? Any help much appreciated.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Simply put: If you wish to use this connection as an electrode, keep it where it is; if you wish to use it to merely bond the piping, connect it anywhere.

gndrod

nsteedaz said:
Hey guys, I am re-working the entire electrical system in an older house, (taking out all of the peg and tube wiring and replacing with romex) and I have a question about the grounding electrode. It is a 100 amp service so I know that I only need 6 AWG copper (I am using bare, stranded), but I am unclear of where this electrode must be bonded to the water piping system. The water lines are all being replaced, and as of right now the current grounding electrode is bonded to the water line about 6-8" from where it enters the basement, right below a shut-off valve a total distance of about 45' from the panel. The piping is to be re-routed to go to the bathroom, washer, water heater, etc., but the bottom line is that it will come to within 10' from the panel for the water heater. My question is can I bond onto this new copper piping at any point, or does it have to be below the shut off valve? Any help is greatly appreciated and also any other suggestions as well. Thanks alot guys!

nsteedaz,

If the 6 AWG x 45' GEC to the original piping 8" entry remains intact, it is [250.52(A)(1)] compliant. Bonding #6 to the H2O H & C both will cover the pipe bonding in most instances throughout the house. (The incoming pipe is most likely galvy that need to have a dielectric union connection. The plumber will most likely not put in a bonding jumper at this point. This may not be required if the Cu is continuous to the H2O bond. The setup you describe will work. Peg and Tube. What location are you in? rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.