New Hot Tub on New Pavers

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With the TIA, what is the equipotential bonding grid requirement for a new hot tub installation set on a new paver patio? I've been getting mixed opinions as to whether or not it's now required due to the TIA.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
With the TIA, what is the equipotential bonding grid requirement for a new hot tub installation set on a new paver patio? I've been getting mixed opinions as to whether or not it's now required due to the TIA.

It is not required unless you meet the height restrictions. Also did your area accept the TIA-- if not then it does not apply.

680.42(B) Bonding. Bonding by metal-to-metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted.
Exception No. 1: The metal bands or hoops used to secure wooden stavesshall not be required to be bonded as required in 680.26.
Exception No. 2: A listed self-contained spa or hot tub that meets all of the following conditions shall not be required to have
equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces installed as required in 680.26(B)(2):
(1) Is installed in accordance with manufacturer?s instructions on or above grade.
(2) The vertical measurement from all permanent perimeter surfaces within 30 horizontal inches (76 cm) of the spa to the top
rim of the spa is greater than 28 inches (71 cm).
Informational Note: For further information regarding the grounding and bonding requirements for self-contained spas and hot
tubs, see ANSI/UL 1563 ? 2009, Standard for Electric Spas, Equipment Assemblies, and Associated Equipment.

RICK NAPIER

New Jersey has not adopted the TIA so bonding would be required on new paver patio. An existing patio would fall under
Material and Methods 6.8(d)
7. All of Chapter 6, entitled "Special Equipment;"i. Section 680.26(B)(2) shall not apply to existing paved surfaces or decks when installing a spa or hot​
tub.

So install the patio and wait a year before you install the hot tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.