new house estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

Does $28,750.00 sound like enough? 1st floor 2400 sq ft, kit, lr, dr, sunroom, office, laundry, master bed and bath. 2nd floor 3bed, 2bath, bonus room not included. Basement partial with living space and exercise room. 2 car attached garage. Estimate was for 85 recess lights. No recess lights or other lighting fixtures, bath fans etc are included. The service is not included, it will be 400 amp UG. Gave this est. in the spring and am getting cold feet a little, plus in reality as it was supposed to start in early fall(nice weather) and now it's almost ready(anything goes weather in New England. CT.) Thanks for input.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have no idea of the pricing in CT. It is also very hard not knowing specifics-- water heater, gas vs electric heat etc. I say your in the ball park

GerryB

I have no idea of the pricing in CT. It is also very hard not knowing specifics-- water heater, gas vs electric heat etc. I say your in the ball park

Thanks Dennis, I figure I'm OK. They are actually doing a geo-thermal system for HVAC which I think everything is located in the mechanical room next to the service. I just don't want to fall off the "fiscal cliff" with the rest of the country:D

G._S._Ohm

$12/sq. ft.

Check the Zipskinny site to see how median prices vary over the country. IIRC a $7 thing in Austin costs $12 in Honolulu.

You also might want to know the interval over which prices vary for the same sq. ft., f'rinstance 50% of the bids falling between $10 and $16 per sq. ft.

If $12 is "just right" then half the time you will lose money by bidding it, by definition. Nobody should be able to always make money on a job.

Your historical data for several houses should give you this range: for 50% of the bids this is called the Interquartile Range. Excel can help you with this.

Last edited:

WIMaster

Thanks Dennis, I figure I'm OK. They are actually doing a geo-thermal system for HVAC which I think everything is located in the mechanical room next to the service. I just don't want to fall off the "fiscal cliff" with the rest of the country:D

I would make very sure about what the "tempering"(heating) units on that "geothermal" setup need for power.

Last edited:

GerryB

I would make very sure about what the "tempering"(heating) units on that "geothermal" setup need for power.

Yeah thanks, they need a lot, I forget if it was 100a or so. I think they are doing something to downsize it (that's not the right terminology) because they also want an automatic whole house generator, which a generator company is doing. I'll be doing a 400 amp service and one 200 amp panel will be the essential circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.