New Jersey Rehab question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Home was generally gutted, with reconfiguration of interior space, an addition constructed, entire new roof framed and the entire electrical system replaced (new service, panel and wiring throughout). Questions:

1. Is AFCI required?
2. Are tamper-resistant receptacles required.

I realize that the Rehab code allows a lot of leeway in this, because some of the original home was re-used.

Tony,

Am not familiar with the NJ Rehab code but it sounds like everything you do will have to be up to current codes. As soon as you start tearing down walls, let alone replacing the entire electrical system, things have to be brought up to code.

Hendrix

Home was generally gutted, with reconfiguration of interior space, an addition constructed, entire new roof framed and the entire electrical system replaced (new service, panel and wiring throughout). Questions:

1. Is AFCI required?
2. Are tamper-resistant receptacles required.

I realize that the Rehab code allows a lot of leeway in this, because some of the original home was re-used.
210.12(B) says yes to the AFCI.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A new branch circuit would require AFCI protection an existing circuit would not. From the NJ UCC:

26. As specified in Section 210.12 of the electrical subcode, Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (AFCI)
Protection shall be required for all newly installed (not replacement) branch circuits in dwelling units provided
a listed combination type arc fault circuit interrupter breaker is available.

The receptacle replacement would default to the requirements of the NEC, this is from ordinary maintenance:

i. The replacement of any receptacle, switch, or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less and
operating at less than 150 volts to ground with a like or similar item, including receptacles in loca-
tions where ground-fault circuit interrupter protection, damp/wet or tamper-resistant are required
(Sections 210.8, 406.8 and 406.11, respectively, of the electrical subcode);

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm not sure if this has changed since the last time I had this CEU course but from what I remember, as long as you didn't change the foot print or the elevation of the house you could gut the interior down to the studs and rewire it (irrespective of whether the walls have changed) and you didn't have to use AFCI's. However, any new or replaced receptacles have to be TR's. Any areas that would normally require AFCI's that are in an extended foot print or elevation portion of the house have to have both AFCI's and TR's. If you're unsure I would call the DCA Code Assistance unit and check with them.

RICK NAPIER

The question is are all the circuits replacing existing circuits only or are there new circuits. I have discussed this issue with some members of the DCA and the consensus was that the existing can be replaced without AFCI but that the Electrical Subcode Official can require a wiring diagram of the existing circuits to be certain that only they are refed without AFCI protection.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The question is are all the circuits replacing existing circuits only or are there new circuits. I have discussed this issue with some members of the DCA and the consensus was that the existing can be replaced without AFCI but that the Electrical Subcode Official can require a wiring diagram of the existing circuits to be certain that only they are refed without AFCI protection.

Sounds like a reasonable position. My guess is that the man-hours required to do a thorough survey and create a drawing would more than cover the costs of simply putting in AFCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.