New Jersy pseng ( linesman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

I really would like to become a linesman.

i live in north Jersy I went on pseng's website but didnt

See linesman as option for jobs available .

I was was woundering if they only put up application once a year

or specific times of year.

If anyone knows any info on how when to apply

or any other info that would help me on my goal I would really appreciate it .

liquidtite

Thanks infinity that's the site I was on.

when you go to jobs available it didn't give you linesmen

as option .

i was woundering if they only hire once a year .

__dan

Good choice. Make the move while you can.

The utility might not have an apprenticeship program. It's possible they hire certified from the hall, outside electrician's union. You would want to start at the hall, probably as an apprentice, and there is a NEAT training program.

https://bismarckstate.edu/energy/programs/

liquidtite

Those locals are ibew line voltage 120-480 volts

im trying to get into the utility company pseng to become a linesman

working with 13k .

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it

.or are you telling me that's it's the same locals

i always thought utility company was diff from the regular ibew locals.

In any case I called and left message.

liquidtite

I also called the ( neat ) union aswell and left message

thanks for the info I really appreciate it .

do linesman also build substations or is that a diff

classification.

Thank u

liquidtite

Good choice. Make the move while you can.

The utility might not have an apprenticeship program. It's possible they hire certified from the hall, outside electrician's union. You would want to start at the hall, probably as an apprentice, and there is a NEAT training program.

https://bismarckstate.edu/energy/programs/

Ure info was very helpful

I went on neats website and saw wages , benies, etc

i was in process of filling out apprenticeship application but It wouldn't let me go any furture

bc i don't have my Cdl license .

guess I no the first step .

fdes1879

You need to apply to the union and try to get in as a contractor or groundman. Local 1049.
Ibew1049.org also small municipalities and co-ops in certain areas have their own lineman. Usually hard to get in there but you can try there also.
Tough job,long hours but $$$ is a plenty. Not for everybody. Great job though. If you get in and become a lineman you can take it any were in the country. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You need to apply to the union and try to get in as a contractor or groundman. Local 1049.
Ibew1049.org also small municipalities and co-ops in certain areas have their own lineman. Usually hard to get in there but you can try there also.
Tough job,long hours but $$$ is a plenty. Not for everybody. Great job though. If you get in and become a lineman you can take it any were in the country. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
One of my in-laws put together his own trouble crew. Last job he did was in Siapan.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I think to get a lineman job it has to be willed to you by your father who has to be a lineman. Remember that you're not going to start out as a lineman if you don't have any experience.

Njlineman

Pseg Lineman here.. PSEG does hire for lineman apprentices from time to time.. Most of the time they hire from within but it does occasionally reach the street for non employees. I got hired off the street but was working for Amtrak as a lineman.. Most of my hiring class didn't have any line experience. The best way to get a lineman job is to join the company as an underground helper.. store room stock handler or any job that doesn't lock you in to a 4 year apprenticeship. Once you're in, PSEG employees have first shot at jobs that usually don't reach the public such as lineman. Goodluck!

liquidtite

I looked up online and was told that I have to apply to
neat / north east apprenticeship program .

then I have to take aptitude test
go on interveiw

and the be put on waiting list once your in list they'll

call u and then you can start bootcaamp

once you pass boot camp you get swarn in.

but befor I can apply online on neats website
it says I need to get my Cdl first.

Studying for Cdl ,

in mean time I'll apply to pseng for meter maid etc.

liquidtite

Pseg Lineman here.. PSEG does hire for lineman apprentices from time to time.. Most of the time they hire from within but it does occasionally reach the street for non employees. I got hired off the street but was working for Amtrak as a lineman.. Most of my hiring class didn't have any line experience. The best way to get a lineman job is to join the company as an underground helper.. store room stock handler or any job that doesn't lock you in to a 4 year apprenticeship. Once you're in, PSEG employees have first shot at jobs that usually don't reach the public such as lineman. Goodluck!

So you didn't have to go through neats program?

i appreciate your time I really want to be a line sk
bad.

i also applied to nj transit but on website it didn't say electrical jobs available .

i applied anyways,

Njlineman

I applied to NEAT and eventually got on their 2 year waiting list. If you want to work at Public Service its best to do your apprenticeship through them. Even if your training elsewhere is better you'll always be an outsider to the older guys. Plus working here all you really need to know is our system and the work practices. You'll learn a little bit of everything in NEAT but they usually only hire established Journeyman Linemen into the trouble department. I know in my division they have a store room job posted so check the website every day because it might make it to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.