new server building gone bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tori

WOW, was all I could say when I walked into this brand new building and started looking around , I have never seen work this bad, and I mean it, quality was about 35%
some work looked ok but the bad outweighed the whole job.
We were called last thurs to please show up and bring 40 electricians, my boss told them he had to at least scope out the job first and see what materials and manpower would be needed - Friday we showed up with 40 men and 100,000 dollars in wire, 600 mcm. We were to repair the gear rm and about 60 static transfer switches , wire pulled to wrong sw.s , too short to go to the correct ones, terrible workmanship, the gear was in really bad shape -just a huge spagetti mess of wire in the pits under 5 sections of gear all breakers of parrellel feeders,customer wanted it tested and wracked and reterminated - we worked two 12 hr. shifts fri. sat ,sun , and will maintain that untill we're done which should be next monday when they want to turn on the gear and begin to comission it.
Thats not all - another Co. well known in our area was also there with about the same amount of men and worked the same hr.s on the ups and batt sysem in a adjoining room, both about the size of a soccer feild.

Apparently, a out of town electrical contractor won the bid on the job and came into town with 4 foremen and tried to hire electricians from temp agencies -this is second hand info - but the truth is they were about 75% finished, and the testing company started discovering all of the problems and then the company walked off the job with all tools and material over the christmas holiday- their last words were " quote from the GC" Sue Us ! we are leaving.

The worst thing is we can repair it and get it running but we cannot fix it 100% - that would require tearing it all out and starting over.

If that out of town contractor is in here, I would sure like to hear his side - the the job is in Ashburn , Virginia

emahler

Hey, we didn't do that bad. Some of the wires were in the right place and we left a straight run of pipe somewhere;)

Tori

What a nightmare , we took all connections loose in the gear , removed one end unit of gear and pulled the wire out from the pits and built racks it the pits and then proved the wires then began to reinstall and terminate them again, parrelel feeds , some with as much as 10'ft. difference in length trimed and racked and retermininated , transfer sw.s -freestanding( I will say this ,they did do a good job in the deck with the pipes coming up in the bottom of the sw.s ) none level , about half wired well , the other half either needed to be redone or repulled , the pile of gimp outside the building between the two companys - seperate plies of course- was huge , two piles replenished each shift and hauled off sometime during the day -I was on nights - and watched by a guard to prevent theft, both companys on a ticket , I sure hope for the owners sake he had required a bond.
The guys loved the overtime but what a shame anyway, it's almost time to go back to work:grin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.