New service 480V, 3p, 1000A

Status
Not open for further replies.

teal854t

We're changing our 240V, 3p, 800A service to 480V, 1000A. Our 240, 800A disconnect, meter and breaker panel is indoor. Edison wants our new 480 service outdoor. They will bring their line from top of the pole, along the pole with PVC and underground to the new disconnect and meter. We want our new breaker panel indoor. My question is if we can have our breaker panel indoor back to back from main disconnect outdoor. Can I make a hole through the wall and bring the cable from main disconnect outside to the breaker panel inside?

Breaker Panel / Wall / Maind disconnect & Meter

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I see no reason why not. It's done all of the time. Be sure you comply with 240.13 (assuming this is a wye service). Also, 240.4(C) comes into play here.

tshea

Is the new service straight 480? No 277?

Keep in mind the disconnect is the service disconnect which means all your bonding and grounding starts there.

I assume then that the distribution panel will be a MLO panel with breakers.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
tshea said:
Is the new service straight 480? No 277?

Keep in mind the disconnect is the service disconnect which means all your bonding and grounding starts there.

I assume then that the distribution panel will be a MLO panel with breakers.

Is the disconnect before or after the meter? I was under the impression that a disconnect before the meter does not qualify as the service disconnect.

james wuebker

Zifkwong said:
As long as you do not cut your own knockouts out of the enclosures.
Zifkwong, why is that? I buy my panels without the knockouts most of the time to insure my self the hole will be lined up prefect.
Thanks!
Jim

james wuebker

Zifkwong said:
As long as you do not cut your own knockouts out of the enclosures.
Zifkwong, why is that? I buy my panels without the knockouts most of the time to insure my self the hole will be lined up prefect.
Thanks!
Jim

teal854t

bdarnell said:
I see no reason why not. It's done all of the time. Be sure you comply with 240.13 (assuming this is a wye service). Also, 240.4(C) comes into play here.

Thanks. Since it is along the drive way I need to put poles in front of service disconnect box. How far away should I put poles from the box?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Jim,
Don't forget that the 1000amp Breaker will need to be a GFCI.
It needs GFP (ground fault protection) or GFPE (ground fault protection of equipment) not GFCI. The term GFCI is reserved for the 5mA trip "people protection" devices. The service or feeder ground fault protection can be set at 1200 amps.
Don

james wuebker

Don, Your correct. Must have been writing to fast. I believe he could use a ground-fault sensor also which you could use to a max. setting of 1200 amps. Thanks Don for that correction.
Jim

coulter

Don and Roger are correct.

I did a mind swap translation of what Jim said (typed?) and knew what he meant. But we still should use the correct terms.

carl

Status
Not open for further replies.