New Test Question on number of 15 noncontinuous circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
The size of a single-family dwelling is 25,117 square feet. The service is 120/240 volts single-phase. Without application of demand factors, what is the minimum number of general use, noncontinuous 120-volt, 15-ampere branch circuits?

1. 45
2. 32
3. 42
4. 14

See steps below:
Step_1: Table 220.12 lists 3VA/sq-ft. Calculate; 25,117 sq-ft x 3 VA/sq-ft = 75,352 VA. (Note: Lighting is considered a continuous load, however, do not apply this demand adjustment as stated for this specific question.)
Step_3: Calculate the power per circuit; P = I x E = 15 amperes x 120 volts = 1,800 VA / circuit.
Step_4: Calculate the number of 15 A circuits; Total Power / Power per Circuit = 75,352 VA / 1,800 VA = 41.86. Therefore, size up to 42 Circuits.

Do y'all agree that 42 circuits is the correct answer to this question?:?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
without any adjustment factors, yes. Useless # except to show you know how to do math.

The size of a single-family dwelling is 25,117 square feet. The service is 120/240 volts single-phase. Without application of demand factors, what is the minimum number of general use, noncontinuous 120-volt, 15-ampere branch circuits?

1. 45
2. 32
3. 42
4. 14

See steps below:
Step_1: Table 220.12 lists 3VA/sq-ft. Calculate; 25,117 sq-ft x 3 VA/sq-ft = 75,352 VA. (Note: Lighting is considered a continuous load, however, do not apply this demand adjustment as stated for this specific question.)
Step_3: Calculate the power per circuit; P = I x E = 15 amperes x 120 volts = 1,800 VA / circuit.
Step_4: Calculate the number of 15 A circuits; Total Power / Power per Circuit = 75,352 VA / 1,800 VA = 41.86. Therefore, size up to 42 Circuits.

Do y'all agree that 42 circuits is the correct answer to this question?:?

I agree that 42 is correct unless you have the total calculated load as stated in 210.11(A). But i think lighting is only considered continuous in commercial or industrial applications. Is this a question that has a different answer listed as the correct answer?

I agree that 42 is correct unless you have the total calculated load as stated in 210.11(A). But i think lighting is only considered continuous in commercial or industrial applications. Is this a question that has a different answer listed as the correct answer?

I agree with you that lighting should be calculated as continuous, but this course work question (which is not necessarily practical) states NON continuous, that is why I questioned my own calculation, and resultant answer of 42 circuits. So I think I got it correct.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Julian

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You don't need to do any math to demonstrate that the answer is 42. That is, after all, the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.