New to low voltage, need starting point

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

It seems more and more new construction homes are going to low voltage led lights and "smart home" wiring. It seems I'm missing out on some contracts here and there and I can only assume it will be more and more in the future. Can anyone recommend a good starting point to start learning this (online courses etc). We are a small shop with only two residential journeyman (which I own) so on the job training is not available to me.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It seems more and more new construction homes are going to low voltage led lights and "smart home" wiring. It seems I'm missing out on some contracts here and there and I can only assume it will be more and more in the future. Can anyone recommend a good starting point to start learning this (online courses etc). We are a small shop with only two residential journeyman (which I own) so on the job training is not available to me.
What is the going price of journeymen these days? :lol:

mgookin

The place to start would be the manufacturers of the lighting and the smart home systems.

-Hal

+1

I'd go buy some and install them at your shop. Those companies may even have some online classes, videos or even traveling techs who could stop by some location in your town.

Youtube may even have some. It seems there's everything on there these days.

Many of the specialty low voltage distributors or suppliers offer free training very often. I used to keep my techs current and take advantage of this training all the time. Lutron and HAI are excellent products to start with.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.