New to me, Russelectric ATS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I need to slab 12 conduits with four 600's into this thing. 6 more will leave out the top. EE has speced this because its smaller than a Lakeshore.(he doesn't have to make it up:mad:)

Has anyone used this? Anything I should know? Seem like alot of wire in a small enclosure.

iwire

Staff member
IMO Russelctric is a Cadillac. The few Asco ATS I have seen looked cobbled together as a side project of a contactor company.

I have not installed that switch, in the link. But I can say the ones I have worked with had the space.

I had a 1,600 amp ATS that we could only enter from two sides, we had 20-500s and 32 600s in it. I had space issues for the 13- 4" EMTs but was able to use some gutters. Had I been able to come into the top it would have been no problem.

brian john

First I have to state I have a grudge in this match. And this is strictly my opinion LIKE DUH!

BUT

Lakeshore I never cared for them. Besides a PIA to get parts for I once blew a hole in my arm working on a Lakeshore. MY FAULT by Like Barbara says Memories
ASCO once the best still, decent.
Zeinth Decent
Russell Electric the bank vaults of ATS's.

What I do not like is some manufactures make their ATS with propriatary software and control who can get the software. WHICH in my opinion is HORSE HOCKEY.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
iwire said:
IMO Russelctric is a Cadillac.
Thats nice to know.

I had space issues for the 13- 4" EMTs but was able to use some gutters. Had I been able to come into the top it would have been no problem.
Great minds think alike and so do minds like ours. I have already ordered a box for the top of this so I can enter from the side.

brian john said:
Sounds like I'm getting a cool new toy.

Thanks all and thanks Marc for your opinion.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
brian john said:
Lakeshore I never cared for them. Besides a PIA to get parts for I once blew a hole in my arm working on a Lakeshore. MY FAULT by Like Barbara says Memories
ASCO once the best still, decent.
Zeinth Decent
When asked ASCO will provide a very decent "self-certified" SCCR for use with many different breakers. We have had little problem finding an ASCO switch (although not the inexpensive ones) that was not rated with whatever breaker was required for selective coordination.

So far, 12 months and at least 3 jobs, I have never gotten anything except the published SCCR data from Russellectric. Still have not found a combination of any of their switch and breaker for selective coordination that meets fault levels above 22kA.

Remember selective coordination is a requirement for required "backup" systems, it is not just for hospitals.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
ron said:
Jim,
I've had Russelectric ATS's provided as part of projects, and have not had any issues with SCCR's.
Even their most basic brochure for the basic switch has stand alone ratings without the need for upstream OCPD's.
http://www.russelectric.com/docs/RMT.pdf
With current limiting fuses upstream of the same size, you can get to 200,000A.

Ron,
Russelectric specifically says you must use fuses in front of their switches for anything other than the relatively low SCCR's based on 3 cycle ratings with breakers. Current limiting fuses in series with breakers do not selectively coordinate very well. Fuses in hospitals are difficult to implement due to the multiple levels of GF required. There is no one ideal solution.

The problem of selectivity generally occurs because the ATS often needs to be rated for use with a breaker that does not have Instantaneous tripping enabled (which Russelectric is not). I guess I am just tired of being told that I need to "fix" my coordination study to accommodate the equipment the contractor purchased before my study was completed, submitted, and approved. For some reason many contractors feel that a fully rated system of 65kA SCCR does not also apply to the ATS's.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I will also get on the "I think Russelectric switches are top of the line" cart.

I have installed a 1/2 dozen in large hospitals and they were great, all the way from the switches themselves to the startup and support.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.