new type of brk gfci / afci combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

cutler hammer has come out with a brk listed as a afci /gfi circuit brk br11afgf 15 amps 120 volt has any one used this brk in any job an what about the cost an its operation?any information or instructions on this brk would be appreciated.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Interesting, I just upgraded the service on an old house that had two wire cable run through it. I installed arc fault breakers for the bedroom circuits, which i also had to ground fault protect since there was no equipment ground. I installed a blank GFI next to the panel after the arc fault breaker.

slick 50

I would hate to troubleshoot the reason it trips........ Overload? Short? Ground fault? Arc fault?

Actually, every AFCI has ground fault protection in them as well as the arc detection but it is not the class A GF of 4-6mA. It is 25-75mA of GF equipment protection so it is pretty much the same as troubleshooting the standard AFCI's I would imagine. The cutler hammer BR115AFGF is rated arc fault and ground fault which does have class A personel GF protection. This breaker was great and I have used it many times in the past for certain applications like old 2 wire circuits with no EGC but: this breaker is not available in the combination AFCI with series arc detection which means I can no longer use since January 1st 08. Hammer said that they dont have any plans to make this in the combination because of lack of demand in previous breaker.

electricmanscott

cutler hammer has come out with a brk listed as a afci /gfi circuit brk br11afgf 15 amps 120 volt has any one used this brk in any job an what about the cost an its operation?any information or instructions on this brk would be appreciated.

This is actually not new and as already pointed out is not available in combo type so can not be used anymore.

I have to look for the paperwork, but I received some brocures from one of the manufacturers in regards to this topic.
They have developed a circuit breaker that has the capabilities of GFCI protection & AFCI combination type protection. Give me a little time and I will find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.