New York State requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjhnsn

What are the certification and licensing requirements for the State of New York (not looking for NY City). I am taking a correspondence course and looking ahead to what to expect as I make the career move to be an electrician. I am currently working as a tool grinder for a furniture manufacturer and its getting to be the 'same old grind'. I had some previous electrical schooling in college (23 yrs ago)which dealt with mostly agricultural applications - farm wiring and motors. I have used that knowledge to some extent but now I am really getting to learn the NEC more in the course I am taking and it is exciting. I am kind of anxious though about making the career change. Any advice? :eek:

friebel

Re: New York State requirements

To: chjhnsn
In my opinion, you cannot find a better field to be in if you decide to become an electrician.
I would recommend going to a Technical school, if you have one in your area, and it is a good one.
If you decide that you do not want to take that route, my advice would be to call Sarina Vincent at Mike Holt's headquarters in Florida.
Mike has some good books on theory, etc.
You may want to start employment with an electrical contractor to get good hands-on experience.
Also, there is the IBEW, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. They have an excellent apprenticeship program.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: New York State requirements

What are the certification and licensing requirements for the State of New York
New York State does not have a state wide licensing program. You would need to check with the individual county to see what they require. As with the link that Pierre has posted, NYC has it's own requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.