newbie - nec code used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan01

More newbie questions..

Being not too familiar with the NEC, I was wondering how do you know what version of NEC does a certain city use? Is there a law or standard?

I know that if something is designed under a NEC code years ago, it doesn't have to be changed unless you are doing some upgrade or design that involves that unit or thing.. correct?

titan01

thanks but whats AHJ?

Is there a website I can go to? I went to a certain city's website but it didn't have anything on NFPA or NEC stuff

480sparky

Titan: you may find the first page of any recent NEC a good place to start.

Towards the bottom it states:

This Code is purely advisory as far as NFPA is concerned. It is made available for a wide variety of both public and private uses in the interest of life and property protection. These include both use in law and for regulatory purposes, and use in private self-regulation and standardization activities such as insurance underwriting, building and facilities construction and management, and product testing and certification.

It basically says the NFPA does nothing more than create and publish the NEC. It is up to local governing bodies to adopt whatever standard they wish to. it they with to adopt the NEC, they are free to do so. If there is a place where there is no local rules (such as a military base, or a scientific station at the north pole), the NEC may be adopted by anyone for enforcement.

Some places enforce the NEC as is. Some adopt the NEC with amendments (very common). Some places, like the city of Chicago, make their own set of rules.

Also, take a look and the Code Making Panels, and the mix of people who represent the various aspects of the industry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.