Nexans NM-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone ever seen a 1000' roll of NM-B on a spool without the typical "ends" on the spool. I received a roll today made by Nexans and it arrived looking like it was on a paper towel roll. I'm wondering how this will come off the spool when placed on the normal spool jacks I always use without becoming a rats nest of tangled wire.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Has anyone ever seen a 1000' roll of NM-B on a spool without the typical "ends" on the spool. I received a roll today made by Nexans and it arrived looking like it was on a paper towel roll. I'm wondering how this will come off the spool when placed on the normal spool jacks I always use without becoming a rats nest of tangled wire.

Maybe they expect you to add separate end plates with set screws when you put it on the jack? Maybe just mount enough empty normal reels or 1/2 normal reels to fill the space
At least with flat cable is would be less likely to wander off the ends while uncoiling.

PetrosA

I'm not sure, but I think Nexans coils are sticky to the point of having to tug on the wire to get it to come free. I've used one brand that the layers are kind of stuck together on, and I'm pretty sure it was that brand. Maybe they coil it up while still hot or use a coating of some sort...

Am I the only one that wants romex in a box?

I've pulled miles and miles of RG-6 coax that was neatly coiled inside of a box and never gave me an issue. I brought the 1,000' box where ever I needed it and pulled, nice and simply. No having to setup stands to hold a spool and no having to walk out a coil of it.

Maybe romex is too heavy for this?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I called Nexans this morning and spoke with customer service. They ship their NM-B on wooden spools. I've concluded the roll I received had the spool ends removed after it left the factory. I'll be having a chat with my supplier this AM:rant:

James S.

I've pulled miles and miles of RG-6 coax that was neatly coiled inside of a box and never gave me an issue. I brought the 1,000' box where ever I needed it and pulled, nice and simply. No having to setup stands to hold a spool and no having to walk out a coil of it.

Maybe romex is too heavy for this?

Two things about this. First, every time I get close to the end of a box of coax I have problems getting the wire out of the box. Second, way back when I was just a wee lad and doing some electric work on my (actually my parents) home, I bought some romex that was in a box. Like a 50' roll and it sucked more than you can imagine.

So yes, both you and the cheese stand alone. :thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager

Years ago shorter lengths (like 250 feet or 12 and 14 AWG) did come in boxes. But they decided the plastic wrap you commonly see today was the way to go at some point around 20 - 25 years ago. Just like now you can't just pull it out of the box without turning something to "uncoil" it if you want it to be straight and neat and easier to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.