NFPA 110 Standby Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarEI

Does NFPA 110 (2005) address (optional) Standby Generator Systems? It doesn't appear to have any standby system requirements... :confused:

NFPA 110 is called Standard for Emergency and Standby power systems.
The scope (1.1) says it covers performance requirements for emergency and standby power systems.
Then it says (1.1.2) the standard covers installation, maintenance, ? as they pertain to the performance of the emergency power supply system (EPSS).
(1.2) says the purpose contains performance requirements for an EPSS.
The definition of EPSS is Emergency Power Supply System.
They don't define Standby Power Supply System (I know the NEC does).

It appears the entire document (except the name of the document and scope) is regarding Emergency Systems (not standby systems).
Does this code (NFPA 110) consider standby systems an EPSS for the purpose of this document? This doesn't seem to make sense because of the different requirements for emergency vs. standby systems.

I have a generator permit rejection saying they want to see compliance with NFPA 110 (the class and level of the generator, adequate heating, cooling and ventilating, etc?) but this all appears to all be in regards to emergency systems, not optional standby systems.

I have a 400KW genset outside in a sound/weather enclosure on a 500gal subbase fuel tank.

Please help. Thanks in advance!!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I am familiar with NFPA 110, and I thought about your question quite a bit, and decided I don't know the answer.

But since you asked again, I share my thoughts.

First thing is this: NFPA 110 is a standard. You are not required to follow this standard unless something else references this standard. That something else might be the NEC, or a local or state ordinance or law. Most likely, that thing that references NFPA 110 is only going to apply to true emergency systems.

NFPA 110 is called a "Standard for Emergency and Standby Systems" because in many cases people would want to install their Standby systems per this standard, even thought its not required. Following this standard would help ensure that a standby system would work as designed when its needed.

But I agree with you: There probably isn't any requirement to install a standby system per this code.

(P.S. I was somewhat suprised I couldn't find anything in the NEC that said Article 700 systems had to comply with NFPA 110.)

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
First thing is this: NFPA 110 is a standard. You are not required to follow this standard unless something else references this standard. That something else might be the NEC, or a local or state ordinance or law. Most likely, that thing that references NFPA 110 is only going to apply to true emergency systems.

NFPA 110 is called a "Standard for Emergency and Standby Systems" because in many cases people would want to install their Standby systems per this standard, even thought its not required. Following this standard would help ensure that a standby system would work as designed when its needed.

But I agree with you: There probably isn't any requirement to install a standby system per this code.

(P.S. I was somewhat suprised I couldn't find anything in the NEC that said Article 700 systems had to comply with NFPA 110.)

Unless the locality has adopted 110 I don't see how they can make you comply with it.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Unless the locality has adopted 110 I don't see how they can make you comply with it.

I assumed the NEC article 700 required compliance with NFPA 110. But I don't see it in there. Of course, that wouldn't apply to a non-required standby generator.

I did find this: IBC 2702.1 which goes something like this: "Emergency and standby power Systems required by this code or the International Fire Code shall be installed in accordance with this code, NFPA 110 and 111."

This hints that the IBC may require standby power systems, and that not all standby systems are optional.

Level 2 NFPA-110 system are for standby power. Class is duration of fuel supply in hours. Level 1 is for life safety requirements.

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like the system the OP is talking about should just be called an "optional" system.

Doesn't sound like it is a standby system (although the OP never mentioned what this generator is for).

solarEI

Thanks for your thoughts. The Florida Building Code has adopted NFPA 110 so it is considered code for this jurisdiction. After discussions with the AHJ their interpretation is that NFPA 110 is a standard for generator installation, however, the document is referenced for the emergency generators, specifically with respect to the class. Once they understood it was not an emergency generator the permit was issued. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.