Nfpa 110

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelcoelec

I am being requested to install a warmer on a battery for a standby generator. The engineer is citing NFPA 110, section 5.3 and saying that the packaged generator is a code violation without the warmer. This is the first I have come across this code section and thought if it were true, all generators would be supplied with a heating blanket. The generator is equiped with a trickle charger to maintain the battery's charge. Any information to support or reject the engineer's request would be appreciated.

barbeer

I looked thru 110 and found nothing substantiating his claims. That does not mean it isn't there, I am not aware of that requirement. I would have agreed with him stating good practice depending on the use of the generator.:smile:

coulter

Personal opinion: Battery warmers kill more batteries than letting them get cold - yes even down to -40 (F or C, you choose;)
Exceptions: With an installed, on-line battery charger - none.
Data Source: Anecdotal - 30+ years in the frigid north

Here's the code. With a stuck engineer, I'd say you're going to have to get the EPS mfg to give you a spec on the battery temp. Hopefully they have more sense than the engineer.

carl

nfpa said:
5.3 [/COLOR][/B]Energy Converters ? Temperature.

5.3.1 The EPS shall be heated as necessary to maintain the water jacket and battery temperature determined by the EPS manufacturer for cold start and load acceptance for the type of EPSS.

5.3.2 All prime mover heaters shall be automatically deactivated while the prime mover is running. (For combustion turbines, see 7.7.6.)

5.3.2.1 Air-cooled prime movers shall be permitted to employ a heater to maintain lubricating oil temperature as recommended by the prime mover manufacturer.

5.3.3 Antifreeze protection shall be provided according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

5.3.4 Ether-type starting aids shall not be permitted.

jdsmith

It may be a code violation, but is NFPA 110 adopted as law where you are? I have no idea, just asking out of curiosity. There are a lot of codes out there plus the recommended practices of the IEEE color books and I find it hard to believe there aren't a pile of violations in the world. Based on the words "as necessary" in 5.3.1 above it looks like the manufacturer can simply tell you a specified CCA battery required. You can refer to the battery manufacturer to find a battery with that CCA at the minimum temperature you experience.

Last edited:

kelcoelec

thanks for the information. Sounds as if the manufacturer specs is the deciding factor on wether or not a warmer is required. Since it is a new genset, I need to obtain the correct documentation that states the battery's operating range in order to support my case. However it is difficult to convince someone who is trying to make a name for themselves. Thanks Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.