NFPA 70 110.26(D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy

I am looking for feedback on this recommended change to NFPA 70 110.26(D).

Illumination shall be provided for all working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers. Additional lighting outlets shall not be required where footcandle by adjacent lighting meets Illuminating Engineers standards for level of lighting for the task.
(1) This service equipment is limited to building type services and does not pertain to utility transformers, substations, etc. normally associated with a Utility Service outside the building or structure. It does pertain to medium voltage distribution that is interior.
(2) Dedicated rooms used for Electrical Equipment only accessed by service personnel shall not have lighting controlled by automated means. Local manual ON/OFF Controls shall be provided.
(3) For panels, motor control centers, etc. not in dedicated rooms or spaces that cannot be turned of by a feeding source, due to lack of said source or due other codes the following apply.
(a) Lighting for equipment location in non-dedicated rooms or spaces may not be controlled by remote location. Local control of lighting shall be within sight of personnel. Where lighting is controlled by scheduled automated controls, local bypass ON switch, for the relevant lighting shall be required.
(b) Where local automated control of lighting is used, a means to retain lighting ON shall be provided by one of the following means.
(i) Provide local bypass switch, of the automated controls, within site of the location.
(ii) Provide local authority having jurisdiction approved multi-technology occupancy sensors with applicable motion, sound, infrared, etc sensing capabilities.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This all sounds like design decisions and that kind of stuff should not be in the code IMO.

There are already building code requirements for area lighting that would apply to these areas already in any case.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The Proposal is legitimate in scope. Although dannyboy may think the his reasoning is self-evident, he should add his substantiation here as well as his proposed text. It would be useful if he used the format outlined here.

dannyboy

Thankyou

Thankyou

Bob,

Thank you for the link information. I appreciate the help in formalizing all my proposals. So far I have only had time to request interpretations with someone else sending in the proposals. Now I am being asked to spearhead some of these proposals.

Status
Not open for further replies.