NFPA 70E label question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

Is the design professional required, by code, to perform arc flash calculations and turn the resulting labels over to the installing contractor for label installation on the installed equipment? Or, is the calculation the responsibility of the installing contractor, or a third party organization hired by the contractor?

Please excuse me if this subject has been covered previously and if it has, please direct me to where it was.

Thank you and have a good day

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There is no rule that declares who is to perform this task. The only rule is that the task be performed, so that the labels get put into place.

ron

Unfortunately the only enforcement body for the 70E labels is the facility itself or OSHA. Generally, OSHA only comes out after an accident.

I don't recall if 70E requires the labels as part of working energized and the selection of PPE or if the label is needed in any case, even if you were not to work energized. If it were only to select PPE, then it would be the responsibility of the employer of the electrical worker that would have to provide the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.