NFPA 70E requirement for VR Gloves when performing Megger or Hi Pot Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does NFPA 70E mention tasks of Megger (insulation dielectric) testing or Hi Pot testing, relating the requirements for the use of Voltage Rated Gloves to install and/or remove test leads or ground leads used to discharge the test circuit? If not, what task is used to relate this testing practice and what safety protective equipment is required to perform the task?

cornbread

I've been waiting to see what replies you were going to get... I wish I had the answers, what we do at oour plant is use gloves rated for the votages being appied. If we are using a 5K megger we use gloves rated for that, HIPOT the same. Our daily uniforms are Cat 2 rated. Since the megger and HIpot are mainly shock hazards and not arc flash we think we are covered with our gear. Hope others replay on this.

zog

I wrote a letter to OSHA several years ago asking this question, they said it needs to be treated the same as system voltage. Now this was before the days of arc flash being a big deal so that wasn't part of the discussion, it was about shock protection only but I would agree with Cornbread.

I don't ahev the response letter anymore, was on a computer from a different company I worked for in the late 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.