NFPA 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_01810

Section 13.1.6.1 of NFPA 79 states "Exposed cables installed along the structure of the equipment or system or in the chases of the machinery shall be permitted." I cannot find a definitions in NFPA 70 or 79 for "chases". Can a steel tube that makes up the frame of a machine be considered a chase? Can cables be run within the frame of a machine?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Section 13.1.6.1 of NFPA 79 states "Exposed cables installed along the structure of the equipment or system or in the chases of the machinery shall be permitted." I cannot find a definitions in NFPA 70 or 79 for "chases". Can a steel tube that makes up the frame of a machine be considered a chase? Can cables be run within the frame of a machine?

Interesting that there is not a definition of chase given what we call chases is not defined in the online dictionaries I looked at.

My opinion is it is some kind of a enclosed or unenclosed path from one place to another other than a raceway.

What you are describing is common though.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
As all know:
  1. definitions in the specific NEC article
  2. NEC article 100
  3. IEEE 100 (commonly defined technical terms from related codes and standards)
  4. Funk and Wagnall's (commonly defined general terms)
Except I couldn't find an F & W. So, from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
"noun A trench or channel for drainpipes or wiring.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Looks like you are not the first one to notice; This is from 2002 proposals.
Screenshot_2019-08-01 79-ROC-2002-Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery - 79-A2002-roc pd.jpg

The response was that it was not accepted, because it was covered elsewhere.
NFPA79Capture.JPG

So you can, I guess, infer from this that a "chase" is defined somewhere in that 14.1.4.8 list. i.e. a wireway or a covered walkway INTENDED for cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.