NFPA/NEC Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutch75

In reading both the NEC(2002), and NFPA 79(2002) reference is made to "Adjacent to" but no distance or sight requirements are given for this disconnecting means. In reviewing some panels being installed in our plants, our OEM's are pushing this definition to include distances up to 40' for the disconnecting means as long as they are within site even though the standard calls for an "adjacent to" disconnecting means. This is in refenence to Chapter 5 excepted circuits, 5.2.5.2(1). Any specific references would be appreciated. :confused:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: NFPA/NEC Definition

I'm not sure of your application, but the NEC definition of In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). in article 100 is
Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be ``in sight from,'' ``within sight from,'' or ``within sight,'' and so forth, of another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.
Roger

jtester

hutch75

In reviewing some panels being installed in our plants, our OEM's are pushing this definition to include distances up to 40' for the disconnecting means as long as they are within site even though the standard calls for an "adjacent to" disconnecting means.
Are you sure the panels require disconnects? If the disconnects are your requirement, the definitions could well be your definitions. If there is an NEC requiremet, then obviously the definition is an NEC one.

Jim T

hutch75

The disconnect is required by NFPA 79, and states it must be "adjacent to" the main controller disconnect. I need a legal code definition of adjacent to so I can enforce NFPA 79.

sandsnow

To find the "official" definition of a word not defined in the text of an NFPA document, check the style manual. It will have the dictionary name and edition to be used to define terms.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Sorry, but I don't believe the phrase "adjacent to" is defined in any NFPA publication.

NFPA79 3.1 says use the following definitions for this standard, when a term is not defined common usage should apply. NEC 100 says basically the same thing. So the controlling definition should be from a standard dictionary.

In my opinion, the standards do not intend "within site from" (a specifically defined term) to be interchangeable with "adjacent to" (an undefined term).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I don't think you can make any kind of good argument as to just what "asjacent to" means.

For a piece of equipment that is fairly large, you could indeed argue with at least some legitanacy that something is "adjacent to" it that is 30 or 40 feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.