NFPA requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kessler4130

Does anyone have a link or something of the like, where I can find information on the codes requiring gas and oil furnaces to have a switch at the top of the steps ? I would appreciate it, I have been looking all over for it, and would like to find it without having to buy a bunch of books it may not even be in.

I need this for the purpose of insurance billing/ lawsuit/ etc. etc. Long story short........... Guy bought a modular home, it was almost finished, and some kids burned it up. He paid all but 10% to the builder who walked off the job now, and he has to fight him for his money, for the work that was not completed. The insurance company is only covering what was already done in the house.

mdshunk

Simply put, I do not know. I have seen "fusible link switches" installed by out of state contractors over top of fossil fuel burning heating appliances. I know that over the line from me, in Maryland, they do the gas or oil furnace shutoff switch at the top of the basement stairs. I can only think that it must be a jurisdictional reqirement. It will be interesting to see how this hashes out, because I have always wondered. It is not required in the areas where I work.

mdshunk

Kessler4130 said:
Thanks alot I will narrow my search to local codes rather than national :).
It could be a "national" code, but one that only has the force of law in your state and not in mine. There are tons of NFPA documents that are models, but they only have the rule of law in scattered areas.

JohnJ0906

mdshunk said:
I know that over the line from me, in Maryland, they do the gas or oil furnace shutoff switch at the top of the basement stairs. I can only think that it must be a jurisdictional reqirement.
I know we do oil burner shutoffs at the top of basement steps, but I really dont know exactly where the requirement comes from. I do them very rarely. The only place I have ever done a gas burner shutoff was in Pennsylvania.

mdshunk said:
It will be interesting to see how this hashes out, because I have always wondered. It is not required in the areas where I work.
Where do you work?

Kessler4130

Well every where I look basically only shows local ammendments and deletions, basically requiring you to buy the book, however there are an unbelievable amount of NFPA books. I may ask one of the local inspectors if he can shed some light on the subject, I know most of us know we are required to do somethings. I am curious as to whom requires this and the exact wording for my own references.

iwire

Staff member
As e57 mentioned here in this area we must have a switch outside the room that contains the oil burner. If the oil burner is in the basement that means upstairs outside the cellar door.

The rule here exists in the local oil burner requirements.

JohnE

I've heard so many myths about this requirement. As Iwire stated, In MA, the requirement is that there be an "emergency switch" outside the room which contains the oil burner.

Over the years, I've heard that "it has to be on the stairwell", "it has to be at the top of the cellar stairs", "it has to be in the kitchen", etc...and these varying answers were coming from the fire inspectors.

In MA, 527 cmr 4.04(3) states: "Oil burner equipment shall be equipped with a means for manually stopping the flow of oil to the burner. Said means shall be at a safe and convenient location. The valve or switch shall be plainly marked to indicate its purpose and place outside theentrance to the room where the burner is locatedor outside of the cellar/ basementdoor at first floor level in an exposed location clearly visible and readily accessible at all times."

I don't know what other states require.

John

mdshunk

JohnJ0906 said:
I know we do oil burner shutoffs at the top of basement steps, but I really dont know exactly where the requirement comes from. I do them very rarely. The only place I have ever done a gas burner shutoff was in Pennsylvania. Where do you work?
Oddly, the only place I've seen a gas burner shutoff is in MD (Cecil, PG counties). I work in PA, and have never been required to do a shutoff for any fuel type, save for when it was specified on a print.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here for gas units the switch is at the unit. We have never done an oil fired unit but I have been told they still require the switch at the top of the stairs. Recently we had a boiler right next to the electrical panel where the CB was serving as the disconnect. The fire inspector said that the requirement was for a red cover with a disconnect next to the boiler so a fireman can find it without going into the panel. He claimed that this was a fire code.

stickboy1375

I rough in emergency switches at top of stairs, but I could never tell you why...:) Just the way its always been... But if a room is made for the equipment then I install it right outside of that room... I'll have to ask an inspector next time I run into one...

JohnE

stickboy1375 said:
I'll have to ask an inspector next time I run into one...

Tried that. Every fire inspector gave me a different answer. What I found funny is that the fire inspectors usually never refer to a code regarding oil burning equipment. They just go by what they've been taught. 99% of the time it's not an issue, just put it where you're sure it can go. Every once in a while, on an existing house, you might want to put it in a location which you can get to without making holes, etc. In which case it's nice to know the actual requirements.

Kessler4130

stickboy1375 said:
I rough in emergency switches at top of stairs, but I could never tell you why...:) Just the way its always been... But if a room is made for the equipment then I install it right outside of that room... I'll have to ask an inspector next time I run into one...

I do it the exact same way, and I think I have searched every possible wording on the internet for it and keep coming up empty handed. I am gonna go to the book store and see if I can't dig something up, providing they carry NFPA or whatever the building code books may be.

mdshunk

I found a section in NFPA 31 (oil burner code) that relates to these switches. I'm not sure where all this might have the force of law:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/mdshunk/emergencyswitch.jpg?t=1166311922

emergencyswitch.jpg

Last edited:

JohnJ0906

mdshunk said:
Oddly, the only place I've seen a gas burner shutoff is in MD (Cecil, PG counties). I work in PA, and have never been required to do a shutoff for any fuel type, save for when it was specified on a print.
It could have been a township thing on the PA job we were doing. The builder asked us to do the job, they were struggleing with the electricians they were using. I just did did what the boss told me to, so its possible we were being jerked around. (My understanding is that the building inspector was opposed to this development, so he was as difficult as possible. I don't know about that, but he was not fun to deal with)

Status
Not open for further replies.