NFPA submittal site varies from hung to crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Since last week, the NFPA submittal site appears to be mostly wedged and now it appears to be offline. Are other people seeing this or it is just me?

Also the "legislative" formatter seems to run amuck fairly often.

Overall, I am less than impressed with its reliability and functionality.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I submittted about 10 changes and found the process to be very easy. I did my proposals in word and pasted into the NFPA form. You can see exactly the change in the NEC. I suspect the CMP members get a document that shows all the changes.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Just submitted a new proposal today. Couldn't access at all yesterday.

The markup is a bit wonky at times. Mostly no choice, but a few times I've ended up completely deleting the saved version and starting anew to get a better markup.

Drafting elsewhere seems to help... but I have noticed at times I have to copy from Word to Notepad, then copy from Notepad to TerraView so text is entered in native format.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am using Firefox for a browser. I made up proposal in word and pasted it in.
No issues.
Perhaps the browser makes a difference. Been using IE. Previously had issues using Chrome, as noted on the start page in TerraView. Have since updated to the latest 64-bit version, but haven't tried doing any revisions yet. Just loaded TerraView and went to My Public Inputs... okay to that point. Don't know if I'll have opportunity to try it out on revisions before deadline... perhaps at comment stage???

One thing about Chrome... it has a "Paste as plain text" option. IE does not.

fmtjfw

It is better now

It is better now

It has cleared up a lot since my original post. I suspect they've added more servers or compute power for the final crunch. The site feels much "snappier". Having worked in software for 3 decades I'm really sensitive about messed up sites.

The "automatic" legislative mark up is buggy and will often mark up most of a page when you just change a word. I tried to add an exception in side a numbered list and the whole formatting went off the rails, so I've been submitting changes in those cases in hand-written HTML and upload the files.

I also took apart a paragraph and changed the 19 item enumeration contained therein into a table. What the automatic markup did was a wonder to behold. It smeared the original paragraph into the table and interspersed table entries with deleted text.

I copy from the .PDF version of the Code into a text editor and then edit it into HTML to write my originals, then paste from the browser display into the teranova or whatever they call their system. <ins> and <del> default to the legislative markup system they use.

It was sure rough for a few day ago.

[In my copious free time, I'm thinking about programming something to convert from HTML into FORUM codes. The existing programs I've found are too fragile to make a good job of it.]

I use nothing but Firefox for browsing (Chrome for streaming music playing).

iwire

Staff member
Since last week, the NFPA submittal site appears to be mostly wedged and now it appears to be offline. Are other people seeing this or it is just me?

Also the "legislative" formatter seems to run amuck fairly often.

Overall, I am less than impressed with its reliability and functionality.

I thought everyone knew that they throttle the site based on how many proposals you put in.

The more proposals you put in the slower the site will respond to you. ;)

kwired

Electron manager
I thought everyone knew that they throttle the site based on how many proposals you put in.

The more proposals you put in the slower the site will respond to you. ;)

Actually it is just the one user trying to rewrite the entire document that is slowing up the whole site:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I used Chrome on a few different devices with most of the stuff written in OpenOffice writer and using the copy/paste function without any problems. Although my first 15 minutes of using the online tool were full of expletives I did eventually find it easy to use, much easier than the actual NEC itself. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.