NICET Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I was wondering if there are any NICET certified techs out there who could tell me about your experiences with the organization. I was on the website but want to hear any good or bad comments "from the horse's mouth.":cool:
Is it similar to NETA and/ or how does it compare?
I was NETA certified when I worked for a testing company years ago, but as everyone knows, you loose certification when you leave the co.(which I disagree with:mad:)
Can one be "Grandfathered in" to NICET.
Thanks in advance.

Tony

zog

I was wondering if there are any NICET certified techs out there who could tell me about your experiences with the organization. I was on the website but want to hear any good or bad comments "from the horse's mouth.":cool:
Is it similar to NETA and/ or how does it compare?
I was NETA certified when I worked for a testing company years ago, but as everyone knows, you loose certification when you leave the co.(which I disagree with:mad:)
Can one be "Grandfathered in" to NICET.
Thanks in advance.

Tony

The NICET program for power system tesst techs was scrapped several years ago, but it is on it's way back, I have had some involvement in this. There is another alternative. http://www.ettci.org/

dhalleron

Occupation
Master Electrician/Senior Fire Alarm Technician
I'm NICET certified in fire alarm systems only and have been at some level since about 1995 or so. I don't know which area you need certification in.

There is no ?grandfathering? for NICET. They don?t even train you. You get training elsewhere and NICET will test and certify you. Then every 3 years you pay for recertification and need to provide proof of such things as working in the trade, continuing education etc.

You also don't lose certifcation when you leave a company as long as you keep up the related work and education and of course pay NICET.

Instead Of a new thread Ill use this one

Instead Of a new thread Ill use this one

I am an apprentice that hears consistantly nicet certification 1,2,3,4 is like gold. I worked for a fire alarm company for a year, but have been "rotated" to a non fire alarm company, I will try to take fire alarm as electives in school, but heres where my delimma starts I would love to be a FAG with a nicet lvl that makes me attractive to a company, but from what I read nicet has requirements that you are currently in that field, and to really "get" into the field most companies would love to see the certification beforehand. is there any way to work my way into this part of the trade and build value?

Status
Not open for further replies.