NICET Fire Alarm Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone!

I've been doing low voltage work and fire alarms (on and off) in the commercial industry for nearly 20 years. After getting various certifications and so forth, I am at the point where I need NICET certification for fire alarms.

At this point in my career, I feel that I know enough about the trade to pass the NICET with flying colors, but at the same time I'm not foolish enough to think I know something that I've never seen. I've worked with enough inspectors and so forth to learn most of the codes and I think that if I get all of the books, I can do fine.

But in light of all of that, do I need to attend a school in order to complete the certification process or can I go the "self taught" route?

dhalleron

The tests were open book when I took it and I had to fill in the circles with a number 2 pencil. Now I think it's still open book but taken on a computer.

What level certification are you going for? You will have to check out NICET's website for information on certification. You will need to document your experience and have someone recommend you.

You can have lot's of experience and still have a hard time on the test. They test on a little of everything. Most people don't have experience with everything.

It wouldn't hurt to take a NICET prep course before going.

This link will get you some some decent books that will help taking the test. They also do training I believe:
http://www.nationaltrainingcenter.net/

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The National Training Center link another posted is really good. I think the tests are still open book, but the books you are allowed to carry in are now limited. Used to be you could use any reference material you wished. I say tests plural, because the NICET qual is not typical. Forget the actual numbers, but basically the test you take is a personally generated test based on the modules you choose. You can take 36 (I think) modules maximum at one session. Depending on the level you are going for, you have to pass certain modules, and then you can fill in the remainder with modules of your choice. It is best to keep in mind the next level you might go for, so the optional modules line up with that.

The thing is that the Fire Alarm codes and theory are only some part of what you test on. For example there is one module on metric to standard conversions, and one on insurance requirements. Basic math is another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.