Nipple definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

I found no definition for "nipple" in the NEC. In respect to conduit fill allowances, would it be fair to consider an elbow (sweep) as a nipple?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I found no definition for "nipple" in the NEC. In respect to conduit fill allowances, would it be fair to consider an elbow (sweep) as a nipple?

Oh geez.... So many great ways to talk about nipples....

Actually in the latest MH NEC videos this was discussed. The final thought was that the word nipple should be removed and replace with raceway of certain length... and I agree whole heartly. A nipple is really just a raceway.

Where nipple would be used the code should say "raceway of blah blah length" and bends should not matter.... length is length

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
In respect to conduit fill allowances, would it be fair to consider an elbow (sweep) as a nipple?

That would depend on how long they are.

Chapter 9 Tables
Notes to Tables

(4) Where conduit or tubing nipples having a maximum length not to exceed 600 mm (24 in.) are installed between boxes, cabinets, and similar enclosures, the nipples shall be permitted to be filled to 60 percent of their total cross-sectional area, and 310.15(B)(2)(a) adjustment factors need not apply to this condition.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I see no need to define the length of the nipple in the NEC. In every section where the word is used and the length makes a difference as to how the rule is applied, you will find the length in the same rule.
As far as a sweep, that is a good question, but I can see no reason to treat a sweep any differently from a nipple of the same length.

480sparky

........but I can see no reason to treat a sweep any differently from a nipple of the same length.

As long as you measure it along the arc and not 'as the crow flies', then I wholeheartedly agree. There's no place in the NEC that says a nipple must be absolutely straight. Otherwise, why would these be called offset nipples?:

2726214.jpg

Vertex

How then shall we consider length? We could go with the center radius or the outside radius.

I bet if we worked at it we get get this thread to top 100 posts.:grin:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
How then shall we consider length? We could go with the center radius or the outside radius.

I bet if we worked at it we get get this thread to top 100 posts.:grin:

you're probably correct...lesser questions have topped 100.
Once we argue about which radius to measure, we can discuss if the bushing is considered in measuring the length :D

480sparky

How then shall we consider length? We could go with the center radius or the outside radius........

Centerline would be my choice, but if I was in a piddling contest with an inspector, I'd use the outside arc to be safe.

.......Once we argue about which radius to measure, we can discuss if the bushing is considered in measuring the length :D

I would argue no, as it's a fitting not a raceway.

Vertex

Is an offset nipple really a raceway or is it a fitting? (Not that it matters for fill considerations. I've not seen an offset nipple longer than 24")

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That would depend on how long they are.

Chapter 9 Tables
Notes to Tables
(4) Where conduit or tubing nipples having a maximum length not to exceed 600 mm (24 in.) are installed between boxes, cabinets, and similar enclosures, the nipples shall be permitted to be filled to 60 percent of their total cross-sectional area, and 310.15(B)(2)(a) adjustment factors need not apply to this condition.
I have to ask what's up with the redundancy on the length requirement?

It need not use both the word "maximum" and the phrase "not to exceed" in my opinion. Would it not suffice stated as...
  • having a maximum length of 600 mm (24 in.), or
  • having a length not to exceed 600 mm (24 in.)
???

I have to ask what's up with the redundancy on the length requirement?

It need not use both the word "maximum" and the phrase "not to exceed" in my opinion. Would it not suffice stated as...
  • having a maximum length of 600 mm (24 in.), or

• having a length not to exceed 600 mm (24 in.)
Would this be the minimum lenght not to exceed... or the maximum length not to exceed.. :grin:

???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Smart $ said:

Would this be the minimum lenght not to exceed... or the maximum length not to exceed.. :D

???
???

It appears you posted your comment within the quote of mine :cool:

Perhaps the dictionary definition of both maximum and exceed, along with thesaurus entries, will shed better light on the matter...

Merriam-Webster Collegiate? Dictionary
max?i?mum
Pronunciation: 'mak-s(ə-)məm
Function: noun
Inflected Form: plural max?i?ma \-sə-mə\ or maximums \-s(ə-)məmz\
Etymology: Latin, neuter of maximus biggest ― more at MAXIM
Date: 1740
1 a : the greatest quantity or value attainable or attained b : the period of highest, greatest, or utmost development
2 : an upper limit allowed (as by a legal authority) or allowable (as by the circumstances of a particular case)
3 : the largest of a set of numbers specifically : the largest value assumed by a real-valued continuous function defined on a closed interval
–maximum adjective

? 2005 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Merriam-Webster Collegiate? Thesaurus
maximum
Function: adjective

greatest in quantity or highest in degree attainable or attained <apply maximum pressure above the point of injury>
Synonyms: maximal, outside, top, topmost, utmost; compare SUPREME
Related Words: greatest, highest, largest
Contrasted Words: least, lowest, slightest, smallest
Antonyms: minimum

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) Browse
Maximum
(n.)
The greatest quantity or value attainable in a given case; or, the greatest value attained by a quantity which first increases and then begins to decrease; the highest point or degree; -- opposed to minimum.

(a.)
Greatest in quantity or highest in degree attainable or attained; as, a maximum consumption of fuel; maximum pressure; maximum heat.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913), edited by Noah Porter. About

Merriam-Webster Collegiate? Dictionary
ex?ceed
Pronunciation:**** ik-'sēd
Function:********** verb
Etymology:********* Middle English exceden, from Middle French exceder, from Latin excedere, from ex- + cedere to go
Date:************** 14th century

transitive verb
1 : to extend outside of <the river will exceed its banks>
2 : to be greater than or superior to
3 : to go beyond a limit set by <exceeded his authority>
intransitive verb
1 obsolete : OVERDO*
2 : PREDOMINATE*
synonyms*EXCEED,*SURPASS,*TRANSCEND,*EXCEL,*OUTDO,*OUTSTRIP*mean to go or be beyond a stated or implied limit, measure, or degree.*EXCEED*implies going beyond a limit set by authority or established by custom or by prior achievement <exceed the speed limit>.*SURPASS*suggests superiority in quality, merit, or skill <the book surpassed our expectations>.*TRANSCEND*implies a rising or extending notably above or beyond ordinary limits <transcended the values of their culture>.*EXCEL*implies preeminence in achievement or quality and may suggest superiority to all others <excels in mathematics>.*OUTDO*applies to a bettering or exceeding what has been done before <outdid herself this time>.*OUTSTRIP*suggests surpassing in a race or competition <outstripped other firms in sales>.

Merriam-Webster Collegiate? Thesaurus
exceed
Function:*verb

1 to go or be beyond a natural or set limit*<the policeman exceeded his authority>*<this task exceedsmy powers>*
Synonyms: outstep, overrun, overstep, surpass
Related Words: outreach, overreach; dare, presume, venture
Synonyms:*SURPASS*1, beat, best, better, excel, outdo, outshine, outstrip, top, transcend

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) Browse
Exceed
(v. t.)
To go beyond; to proceed beyond the given or supposed limit or measure of; to outgo; to surpass; -- used both in a good and a bad sense; as, one man exceeds another in bulk, stature, weight, power, skill, etc.; one offender exceeds another in villainy; his rank exceeds yours.
(v. i.)
To go too far; to pass the proper bounds or measure.
(v. i.)
To be more or greater; to be paramount.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913), edited by Noah Porter. About

benaround

Smart$,

If they didn't use both terms, then what would stop someone from using 2 or 3 24"

nipples coupled together ? Just a thought.

Smart
I did work inside of your post, as it is the way I use to get closer to the work. ;)
I am sorry if someone else may have thought it was your post, that was not the purpose.

I posted what I did, to show that there are so many ways that people who read something can read it differently. That is why writing code is not an easy thing to do.

480sparky

Smart$,

If they didn't use both terms, then what would stop someone from using 2 or 3 24"

nipples coupled together ? Just a thought.

Are you saying you could cut a raceway into 24" pieces, then use couplers to put them together, and call each piece a nipple?

I don't think so.
Ch 9. Note 4: (bold is mine)

Could you install 24" of a raceway, then a box, then another 24" of raceway, then a box, another 24" of raceway, then another box?............ Yes, but you'd likely get fired for wasting that much time and material.

benaround

Are you saying you could cut a raceway into 24" pieces, then use couplers to put them together, and call each piece a nipple?

I don't think so.
Ch 9. Note 4: (bold is mine)

Could you install 24" of a raceway, then a box, then another 24" of raceway, then a box, another 24" of raceway, then another box?............ Yes, but you'd likely get fired for wasting that much time and material.

No, I'm not saying anything close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.