Nipples

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

OK, Conduit nipples :D . I am assuming that a nipple that is bent into a 90 still qualifies for the 60% fill rule so long as it is under 24". Am I right?............Brian

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Nipples

A nipple must be 24" or less in length to qualify for the 60% fill limitation. I don't see were it says that it must be straight.

raider1

Staff member

Originally posted by jwelectric:
I am so disappointed. After reading the title of this thread I couldn?t wait to see if there was a picture.
I am so disappointed.
:D :D :D
I laughed so hard I almost cried. great post.

How about if it had an offset? :D

Chris

raider1

Staff member

Thanks Ryan.

Too touch on the second part of my post. I think that a piece of pipe 24", regardless of if it is bent or not it is still a nipple, and still fall under the 60% fill rule. :D

Chris

allenwayne

Ok I will stray JW after your hilaious post, the next put one heck of an ugly image in my mind.A 24 in. nipple O.M.G. :eek: And what is it mounted on ????????????

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by monkey:
OK, Conduit nipples :D . I am assuming that a nipple that is bent into a 90 still qualifies for the 60% fill rule so long as it is under 24". Am I right?............Brian
I'd say yes. What is an offset nipple if not an extremely bent nipple?
NEC-2002 Chapter 9 notes to tables:
(4) Where conduit or tubing nipples having a maximum length not to exceed 600 mm (24 in.) are installed between boxes, cabinets, and similar enclosures, the nipples shall be permitted to be filled to 60 percent of their total cross-sectional area, and 310.15(B)(2)(a) adjustment factors need not apply to this condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.