nitrous oxide + oxygen

Status
Not open for further replies.

abba

Before I get with my AHJ does anyone know the Classification of Nitrous oxide ( no vetilation connected to bottles) oxygen will be in the same room.This will be for a Dentist's office.
Thanks

bphgravity

Re: nitrous oxide + oxygen

I doubt there will be a classification at all. Class I, Div II would be the most probable, but that would still be stretching it in my opinion.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

While nitrous oxide supports combustion, it is not flammable itself. Is similar to oxygen in that respect. Atmospheres "enriched" with either one are not required to be classified if those are the only materials in question.

I usually recommend getting a MSDS like this one when reviewing cases like yours.

abba

Thanks for the insight!
Prevention of any combustion mandates explosion proof fixtures-so off to the AHJ I go

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Maybe I wasn't clear, but if nitrous oxide and oxygen are the only materials of concern, explosionproof equipment won't make a bit of difference.

john m. caloggero

Nitrous Oxide is not classified as a flammable gas. Check NFPA 497 Classification of Flammable Gases. The electrical drills,luminaires etc are not explosion-proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.