NJ Amateur Needs Help Understanding Code Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentile45

I'm finishing my basement and failed code #'s: 210.52, 250.8, 334.15, 334.30, 300.4, 408. I wasn't home when the inspector came & the only note I had was my NOT APPROVED sticker with the above numbers listed. If anyone can explain, these, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Re: NJ Amateur Needs Help Understanding Code Violations

We generally do not help do it your selfers however as you are getting inspections in my opinion that changes things a bit, you are doing the right thing.

Not being there to see it makes it tough but I will give you some general tips.

250.8 has to do with grounding and bonding

Any chance you did not use grounding screws to connect the ground wires to the boxes?

250.52 has to do with grounding electrodes.

While finishing your basement did you disturb the grounding electrode ?

300.4 has to do with protection of the conductors from damage.

This could be many things but the most obvious would be NM closer than 1 1/4" to nailing surfaces.

334.15 Is more about protection from damage, you may not have closely followed the building surfaces with the NM

334.30 Has to do with properly supporting the cables

408.?

Do not be offended but it sounds like given the article cited the inspector felt this was a sloppy job.

Your best bet may be to hire an electrician as a 'consultant" to come out and look the job over and explain the standard installation methods for your area.

You could spend a lot of time with re inspections and fees if you just keep guessing what needs attention.

Just my opinion, Bob

hurk27

Bob 210.52 not 250.52 But it probley is about receptacle spacing you will need to have a receptacle within 6' of a doorway or fire place then every 12' until you get to the next break in the wall space. 408 is about panel boards and this one has to much to discuss here. But a few pointers would be main bonding jumper installed, wrong manufacture breakers installed, using NC tandem breakers where not allowed, paint or other contaminants on the panel buss bars/breakers. 408 covers a lot of stuff so I think the best bet would be to see if you could borrow a code book or go to the library and se if you could check one out. then when you have a question with it come here and ask.

iwire

Staff member

Thanks Wayne, that makes more sense. :)

I was wondering how 250.52 would come up finishing a basement. :confused:

Bob

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

If anyone can explain, these, it would be greatly appreciated.

The person who you should have asked for an explanation from was the inspector. Big mistake not being there as a DIYer. He is there to help.

Your "transgressions" cover a lot of territory and are not at all specific. I second the advice given by Bob to hire an electrician to clean it up. I think this is going to be the cheapest way out at this point.

-Hal

pierre

Gentile
You have received your roughing inspection for electrical, now you also have to be aware that a building inspector will be there and you have some other considerations such as egress, ceiling heights, smoke detectors, etc...
It is not always as easy as the home shows.

Pierre

ryan_618

As an inspector, I would have to say that there is a great deal of trust in the installer. There are simply too many things that cannot be seen during an inspection :(

An owner-builder job is a very difficult one to inspect. I did one on Friday that was quite tough. The installer had everything from over-filled boxes to illegal branch circuit taps, such as number 12 and number 14 on the same circuit. One of the very difficult things is trying to verify compliance with 210.11(C). There is nothing worse than doing a final and tripping the bathroom GFCI's only to find that the garage is on the same circuit.

As the others have noted, I think you would be wise to at least get a consultation from an electrican that can spend a few hours with you tracing out the circuits. The inspector probably didn't bring a multi-meter to check how the circuiting goes, such as for laundry, bath, kitchen, etc...

tonyi

If you'd really like to complete this on your own, I'd suggest investing in a copy of the NEC. Its about $50 and available at most real electrical supply places (you won't find it at Home Depot or Lowes though). For a DIY, its about as well organized as a Chinese fire drill, and you'll spend at least several days pouring over it reading the section relevant to your job. You would however, come away with a much better appreciation as to how this stuff is done.

drg

gentile45 ,
if you consider buying the NEC 2002 code book read article 90.1(c) while you thumb thru it.
You make your own choices and good luck with your situation.

John

gentile45

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to respond, I can't tell you how much this will help. I have hired a contractor to finish the basement, with the only exception being the electrical as my father is a retired electrician. Thank you all again.

jimwalker

Might suggest calling this inspector .Even paying for a visit might not be all that bad,just be sure to be there.

Ryan,where do you stand should you miss something on the rough and find it on the trim ? I was told that it is still my problem to bring it to code.An inspection passing is not certifying it is wired correctly.

ryan_618

Jim: You have been told correctly. Complying with the code and "not getting busted" are two different things. As far as where I stand on this goes, well, I think a public forum like this might not be the right place to discuss it, ya know?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Ryan,where do you stand should you miss something on the rough and find it on the trim ? I was told that it is still my problem to bring it to code.An inspection passing is not certifying it is wired correctly.
Jim did you think the inspector would be responsible for work you have done? :confused:

jdennehy

210.52 is not applicable in this situation as this is a remodel to an existing structure. This falls under the uniform construction code (UCC) which deletes certain parts of the NEC in NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.