NJ Contractors - Rehab - Arc fault - TR receptacles in dwellings

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
By now most of you NJ contractors know that in NJ under the Rehab Code you were permitted to gut a house down to the studs, make renovations, add or delete studded walls, remodel kitchens, etc. then rewire the house entirely and you didn't have to install arc fault breakers or use TR receptacles. However, once you changed the foot print of the house or its elevation, those areas beyond the original structure had to meet the requirements 2008 NEC in its entirety.

I've now been informed by some of the contractors in my association that if you pulled a permit after Nov 7, 2011, any new circuits that would normally require arc fault protection and TR receptacles in new construction must now have them in rehab. In addition, any receptacles that are replaced must be TR's. Here is the link to the Code Communicator article : http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/ccc_art/articles/rehab_2008_nec_correction_article.pdf

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry, that was not the Code Communicator article that I was looking for. So much for speed reading:roll:. If any of you have information on this would you please post it here ? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.