NJ DCA & NJ Electrical Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelectric777

Guys can someone answer this before I have to find my NJUCC bluebook

If I go to work for the DCA doing inspections and plan review, can I still keep my business permit active? But of course never ever under any conditions violate the conflict of interest rules. So if something came up needing a stamp as a contractor within two jurisdictions I would recuse myself. Appreciate any help and thanks. Jim:(

RICK NAPIER

In February there was an adoption and change to the conflict of interest requirements part of the same changes requiring the appointment of a mechanical inspector.

2. No person employed by an enforcing agency as a construction or subcode official, assistant to theconstruction or subcode official, trainee, inspector, or plan reviewer, shall, whether directly or indirectly, beengaged in ownership of, or employment by, or contracting to provide goods or services to, any businessfurnishing labor, materials, products, or services for the construction, alteration, or demolition of buildings orstructures, or for the maintenance of any equipment or building component the maintenance of which isregulated pursuant to this chapter, that is engaged in any such activity within any municipality in which he isso employed by an enforcing agency.

Your problem is that when you work for the state you don't know which municipalities you will be working in. I can't see it being any different then what the DCA requires for third party inspectors which is no contracting work in NJ. To be sure you should call Regulatory Affairs for an answer at (609) 984-7768

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Based on Rick's description, it kooks like you could keep your permit active as long as you did not actually use it for any work in the state while employed as an inspector.
But get an authoritative opinion before taking action.

jbelectric777

When I was doing Galloway Twp it was a two town rule, the town you worked in and the town next to that you couldn't work in, and I heard that rule was being relaxed. So Galloway was connected by a body of water to AC so no more work there, which I didn't care. Im gonna ask Suzanne Borak. I don't see why if I need to stamp something up north and Im stationed in Toms River or in Trenton why I couldn't. But to make sure Im gonna ask - No reason to take chances right....... Thanks guys:bye:

mike7330

My understanding is, if you are a nj state inspector you can't do electric work under your license.
I don't believe that you need to turn your stamp in.
I would keep your CEs up to date and not give up your contractor license!

Status
Not open for further replies.