NJ UCC emergency disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Service Technician
I know I’ve asked this before however would I be correct in saying NJ adopted the outside service disconnect rule? I didn’t see an amendment in the latest rehab code they sent out a few days or so ago.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
What I've been told is an upgrade would require the disconnect in addition to new construction. I've also been told that a panel swap would not require the disconnect. I have not seen this in writing at this point however.

However all would require the surge protector, with upgrades and replacements being given a 6 month grace period.

Occupation
Service Technician
What I've been told is an upgrade would require the disconnect in addition to new construction. I've also been told that a panel swap would not require the disconnect. I have not seen this in writing at this point however.

However all would require the surge protector, with upgrades and replacements being given a 6 month grace period.
Thanks for the info.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Are you talking about the 6-month grace period for the new code adoption? That evaporated 17 days ago.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If the work falls under the rehab code, for example a panel swap, that would be subject to the rehab 6 month grace period as the new rehab code just came out
The rehab code is amended on an ad hoc basis and I don't believe it has a grace period, at least not one I can find at the DCA site.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the work falls under the rehab code, for example a panel swap, that would be subject to the rehab 6 month grace period as the new rehab code just came out
I went to a CEU seminar today and that's what they told us. Things that fall under the rehab code like a service change will have a 6 month grace period starting March 6, 2023. They also told us that the DCA is looking for a work around to the 2020 NEC requirement of providing GFCI protection for AC units now that it has been removed from the 2023 NEC.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I went to a CEU seminar today and that's what they told us. Things that fall under the rehab code like a service change will have a 6 month grace period starting March 6, 2023. They also told us that the DCA is looking for a work around to the 2020 NEC requirement of providing GFCI protection for AC units now that it has been removed from the 2023 NEC.
It's a TIA until 2026.

John A

Occupation
Inspector
AFAIK, TIA-19 has not been adopted into the codes yet; unless it was put in since 3/21/23

Consensus on the 2020 GFI for ACs was for a 'variation' to be filed, until TIA-19 is adopted.

garbo

I know I’ve asked this before however would I be correct in saying NJ adopted the outside service disconnect rule? I didn’t see an amendment in the latest rehab code they sent out a few days or so ago.
Just a side note: Why can't Ultility companies that have existing capabilities built into their smart meters to easily turn off a residential 100 & 200 services be equipped with a barrel lock key or a push to open insulated handle to secure power to save homeowners a ton if money. Up here in the cold North never a fan of having cheap plug in circuit breakers installed outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.