NM cable in industrial plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_Hamel

We are putting a stick built office in our industrial maintenance building for the new maintenance manager. (10' X 12' one story) Can we use NM cable or do I need to use metalic flex?

joebell

Re: NM cable in industrial plant

Randy

I can not find anything in article 334 prohibiting you from using it other than keeping it protected from physical damage 334.15(B)

volt101

Randy,

You may/may not, depending on what code you are on. The '02 and '05 have restrictions on installing it in type 3,4,5 construction. Take a look at 334.10 (3) and focus on the word/definition of concealed.

Jim

kiloamp7

I am not familiar with the requirements of Type 3,4,5 construction. You might be able to use Romex.

It just seems like the thing to do inside an industrial bldg., is to use EMT/Greenfield/MC Cable as the wiring method.
We dont keep Romex & its fittings on hand, but have plenty of the other stuff.

mc5w

Factories that have nonhazardous atmospheres ( such as not not explosionproof ) are still allowed to use open wiring on insulator if it is out of reach. You can still use open wiring as a cheap alternative to busway.

1996 and earlier NEC allowed NM, UF, and SE cable for exposed work in factories if it was protected from mechanical damage if within reach of people of mobile machines.

In an electroplating circuit I can theoretically stick THWN-2 into a cable tray which is a theoretically easy way to do such a high current circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.