nm cable wiring methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmark

hello to all. new to this site, but tend to lurk more around the hvac related ones. I think these type of forums are one of the most useful on the web & in the industries. that being said... a question. was an electrician on L.I. for a few years many years ago. now I have been drafted to help my brother wire out his extension. I am unamiliar with these clips that attach to the beams to keep the nm cable "floating" in the beam space rather than stapled to the beams themselves. when are they to be used? can you staple two cables under on staple or are these always used with more than one cable? I know it sounds like a complete noob question but I am not sure. thank you in advance for any help given.

luke warmwater

Re: nm cable wiring methods

OK, well this I guess is borderline DIY question, but I'll give you benefit of doubt. But I could be over-ruled by a moderator.

First off, the securing and supporting of Type NM is 334.30

Next you'll have to look at 300.4(A)(1). That tells you about the 1 1/4" set-back and the use of nail plates.

3M and GB are two of the manufacturers that make the stand-offs.
One I believe is called 'stack-its' or something like that.

We've had plenty of discussion on them before, I'd sugest doing a search on the forum.

celtic

Originally posted by madmark:
I am unamiliar with these clips that attach to the beams to keep the nm cable "floating" in the beam space rather than stapled to the beams themselves. when are they to be used? can you staple two cables under on staple or are these always used with more than one cable?
2 cables under 1 staple would be "ok" - generally in an outlet location...once you start getting into lighting, the "norm" is 3+ cables out of the box.

Using the 3M stacker is relatively self explanatory and gives a good-looking finished product
mediawebserver.dyn

3M Stacker <~~~ 3M Website Link

Running parallel runs on a 2x4 borders on violating 334.17/300.4(D). A stacker, or similar, is a quick means to an end.

Erico/Caddy makes the FXC20:
1301.jpg

..but IMHO, the 3M product is better suited for most applications ( Caddy FXC20 )

madmark

Thanks to all that responded. I assure you it was not a DIY question as I am quite familiar of the posture taken towards THOSE type of questions on similar sites. Legit job, permits pulled,etc... I understand that this is the way we all make our living and would not try to hurt it. Thank you again.

jimwalker

You might want to check out other code changes such as gfci,afci,bathrooms,kitchen spacing.Many things have changed in last 10 years

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I don't know how the other Forums handle DIY situations. But here, if you are not an electrician, or at least a licensed apprentice, and if you are planning to do your own electrical installation work at your own home (or that of a family member), then we are not permitted to assist you. If you are an engineer or a maintenance person or a manager, and if you need information to assist with your job, then we will be happy to assist. But we draw the line at the actual performance of electrical installation projects.

Our concern is that you may get only the answer to the question that you ask, and get no answer to the thousand other questions that you should have asked, but did not know that you needed to ask. The thousand of other questions are the ones that electricians, electrical engineers, and other professionals in the electrical industry would have known about, and would have understood the answers to, as part of their years of training.

?A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.? The Owner and Moderators of this Forum do not wish to risk allowing you and your family to be placed in danger, by giving you too little information.

I am closing this thread. I am leaving it in the active area, because the responses you have been given will likely be of some interest and use to other members. You are welcome to use this Forum to learn whatever you want to learn, but we cannot offer advice or assistance on performing electrical installation work at your brother's home.

Status
Not open for further replies.