NMC connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

aherman

I recently failed an electrical inspection on a main panel upgrade because I used a 2 inch twin screw clamp connector to bring in several lengths of romex. I was always taught that this was ok until I failed this last inspection. I was looking through the nec and found 312.5(C) and it seems that all romex needs to enter the panel individually. Does anyone have any further information. I have never had a problem using the one larger connector and really would like to be able to argue this with the inspector. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

aherman

yeah i brought in like 6 or 7. it's all 12-3 and 12-2 and there is plenty of space in the connector. I'm not over filling it. I'm trying to figure out the reason of why it wouldn't pass. It seems to be cleaner and saves space to bring all romex in one connector.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
yeah i brought in like 6 or 7. it's all 12-3 and 12-2 and there is plenty of space in the connector. I'm not over filling it. I'm trying to figure out the reason of why it wouldn't pass. It seems to be cleaner and saves space to bring all romex in one connector.

Whether it was over-filled, under-filled or perfectly-filled you've violated the listing of the connector. There is no way of knowing that the 2" connector when tightened will properly secure that cables as required by the UL standard used to test connectors.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I'm trying to figure out the reason of why it wouldn't pass.

There is no way of knowing that the 2" connector when tightened will properly secure that cables as required by the UL standard used to test connectors.
And there you have it. One of the main purposes of the cable clamp is to secure the sheath so it won't slide outside of the enclosure.

aherman

thanks everyone. This is just the way I was shown to do it, so I figured it was correct. Especially since I haven't had any problems until recently I was just a little confused. thanks again.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
thanks everyone. This is just the way I was shown to do it, so I figured it was correct. Especially since I haven't had any problems until recently I was just a little confused. thanks again.

I think that we've all done things because we were taught that way even if those ways were incorrect. For example, I cannot count how many times I've been told that you need a pull point for every 100' of conduit. :roll:

220/221

Where are you located?

Some areas have ammendments to the NEC that allow this type of installation. Mine does.

aherman

where can i find the rating for the connector? i've been trying to find info on it that specifies you can only put in one strand of romex at a time but I can't find anything.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
where can i find the rating for the connector? i've been trying to find info on it that specifies you can only put in one strand of romex at a time but I can't find anything.

As I mentioned before, unless the carton you buy the connector in specifies otherwise, all SE connectors are listed for only one cable. If you didn't see any indication otherwise on the box, it is clear the connector was intended for one cable, if it was listed.

220/221

Doesn't your areas amendment mention a 3" long raceway?

The one specifically from Phoenix was really poorly written. The other 15 or so municipalities have their own versions of this although I have only read Chandler and Gilbert's version.

For some reason it said not less than 3"' long which would not apply to all of the standard methods used (snap in, chase nipple and PVC TA).

Why did they write it that way? Because whoever wrote it doesn't work in the field?

The 3" length will sometimes take it too far into the wall cavity. In new construction with foam/stucco exterior, the 3" is about right but even a TA isn't quite that long.

If they would have just asked me, I'd set them straight.;)

For one- and two-family dwellings, cables with entirely non metallic sheaths
shall be permitted to enter the back of a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more
nonflexible raceways not more than 75 mm (3 in.) in diameter, and not less than 75 mm
(3 in.) and not more than 600 mm (24 in.) in length

renosteinke

Look at the box the connectors come in. You will find that they are listed for as many as TWO flat cables or one round one.

The UL marking guides / white book reinforce this point; if the item is too small to mark with this information, the information will be on the smallest packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.