No GEC from panel

zimm

Occupation
Home Inspector
Help a home inspector out. 1960 house, newer panel. GEC was a grounding rod with copper wire going straight up to the overhead service bug. No bonding to meter or the panel. My inspection report calls that a red flag. Or is there someway that’s okay? Or is that a call an electrician comment?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Help a home inspector out. 1960 house, newer panel. GEC was a grounding rod with copper wire going straight up to the overhead service bug. No bonding to meter or the panel. My inspection report calls that a red flag. Or is there someway that’s okay? Or is that a call an electrician comment?
Going to the weatherhead serves the same purpose as landing it on the neutral bar in the panel. We have one POCO here that requires it. The code actually says it can be connected anywhere from the service drop (weatherhead) down to the panel.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I feel it’s better protection on a lightning strike on power lines as the lighting energy goes straight to earth and not vi as the panel. But it’s not standard and causes
second looks. Thanks for asking, good question

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code gives a wide choice as to the termination point of the grounding electrode conductor.
250.24(A)
(1) General.
The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

zimm

Occupation
Home Inspector
Awesome! Thanks fellas. I took it out off the report and let the client know she doesn't have to call an electrician on that one. Now for the missing GFCI's all over the place....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now for the missing GFCI's all over the place....
It only needs to be compliant with the codes in force when it was originally built.

This is a common misconception I have encountered with home inspectors.

zimm

Occupation
Home Inspector
As with most codes, it only needs to be compliant with the codes in force when it was originally built.
Fully Agree. But we don't act as code enforcers, just recommend that safety related things be upgraded "according to modern standards". We don't even use the word "code" in the report. For example just because GFCI by a sink wasn't needed at the time, it's recommended now for safety. Plus it's easy and affordable to do.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
It only needs to be compliant with the codes in force when it was originally built.

This is a common misconception I have encountered with home inspectors.
Correct only to an extent. You see a bunch of decora outlets, it likely was done during a period that required AFCI and GFCI. And the modifications would over ride an existing prior code build exclusion.