No ground connection from main circuit breaker panel to grounding electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
Question is in regards to grounding at a residential house. There is an Intersystem Bonding Termination (basically a connection node) next to the meter, that is connected to the grounding electrode(s). Conductors are terminated to it from 2 communication systems, the meter base, and from a liquid propane tank. There is no conductor from the main circuit breaker panel to the grounding system. Though the neutral and ground bus bars are bonded at the main circuit breaker panel, and of course the neutral is connected back to the meter base. I did not get to look inside the meter since it was locked by the utility company and they were not on site. I believe the ground conductor is connected to the neutral inside the meter. My question is, is this an acceptable configuration of grounding the electrical system? Being that there is no designated ground conductor from the circuit breaker panel to the grounding electrode, only the neutral conductor. Also, where in the NEC can I find wording to support this configuration? For context, we want to make sure the liquid propane tank is grounded correctly to the electrical system for surge/lightning protection. There is no disconnect panel or any other circuit breaker subpanels in this system; conductors are from the serving transformer to the meter base, to the main circuit breaker panel, then out to the loads.
Please let me know if I need to clarify anything further.

Many Thanks,
Doug

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Read 250.24(A)(1), the GEC can be connected at the weatherhead, in the meter can, or the main disconnect enclosure. There must be a main bonding jumper in the service gear though, this can be the factory supplied screw.

Roger

Read 250.24(A)(1), the GEC can be connected at the weatherhead, in the meter can, or the main disconnect enclosure. There must be a main bonding jumper in the service gear though, this can be the factory supplied screw.

Roger

Thanks Roger! The main bonding jumper can be the connection between the neutral and ground bus bars in the circuit breaker panel (service gear?) right? I guess I was looking for a different path for a lightning or other voltage surge to find ground. If there were a lightning strike at the home, the path would end on the neutral conductor between the circuit breaker panel and the meter base, then to ground?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks Roger! The main bonding jumper can be the connection between the neutral and ground bus bars in the circuit breaker panel (service gear?) right?
You're welcome and you are correct, see the definition of "Bonding Jumper, Main" for the exact description.
I guess I was looking for a different path for a lightning or other voltage surge to find ground. If there were a lightning strike at the home, the path would end on the neutral conductor between the circuit breaker panel and the meter base, then to ground?
Basically that would be the path.

Roger

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Be aware, also, that the GEC cannot terminate to the enclosure only, even if the neutral is bonded to the enclosure. If it's terminated on the enclosure or ground bar, it must also be bonded to the neutral by a wire or busbar. I preferred it directly connected to the neutral bar (grounded conductor, for you purists). 250.24A (I think) Been a while, but, being a POCO inspector, I saw this error more times than I can count, even after the building inspectors had tagged it ready for power. Also be aware that some utilities (such as ours) do not allow the GEC termination to be be within a sealed compartment, meaning the meter socket or socket section of a combo meter/service disconnect panel. I also found MANY main bonding jumpers missing or disconnected, mostly on older services, but also on brand new ones. Classes for the building inspectors helped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.