No recep in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently moved into an apartment complex that when built did not have receps in any of the bathrooms. each bathroom has 1 light and 1 fan both on the same 15A circuit. now my real question, is there anything in the book that states that a bathroom requires a recep circuit or is all thats stated is that if there is one that it needs to be isolated on its own 20A throw.

any info would be helpful

thanks

Brandon

stud696981

Re: No recep in Bathroom

Todays standards require an outlet in the bathroom and it has to be on a 20amp circuit. That circuit can only feed other bathrooms.

Maybe this is a very old apartment and perhaps back in the day it was not required. It would have to be a very old building not to require an outlet. Actually, I have never seen a residential bathroom without one.

me either thats why i was asking about a code that might require them to be there. i know when i used to wire houses we had at least 2 per bathroom and of course 1 was a gfci.

macmikeman

What used to happen alot in them there old day's is that the light fixture over the sink had a little receptacle outlet in it. It mostly only worked when the light was on due to how the wiring was set up. Spooky old stuff.

jim k

In older bathrooms, I usually see a small accessory receptacle on the light fixture. If the fixture has been changed out, that might explain why there's no receptacle now.

I figured that it was always required, but as I look through article 210 in the '56 and '59 editions, I don't see any mention of bathrooms at all.

My next edition isn't till '81 and, of course, it's in there at 210-52(c).

So sometime in that 20-year window, panel 2 must've figured that a receptacle in a bathroom would be a desirable thing.

- Jim K

jwelectric

Originally posted by jim k:

I figured that it was always required, but as I look through article 210 in the '56 and '59 editions, I don't see any mention of bathrooms at all.

- Jim K
During these years of my life I was running around on the side of the Blue Ridge Mountains just out side of Boone North Carolina.

We didn?t have a receptacle in our bath room at his time. We didn?t have a light fixture in our bathroom either. We carried a lantern with us as we walked out to the bathroom, and we hoped and prayed that there was a couple of pages left in the Sears and Roebuck magazine.

It was those dark nights of summer that I worried about the most. There was always the chance that a big copper head was lying on the edge of the sleeper waiting for a big old rat to come along. I worried it that snake might get confused as he looked up and saw something ??. Well you get the idea.
:D

[ August 23, 2005, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

allenwayne

JW you watched the same show the other day as I did.Wasn`t it the one about the guy that invented
the toilet :D On the history channel I think :p

jwelectric

As I was growing up I learned at an early age that a young Sourwood or Black Gum sapling made a good seat and had a built in striking tool.
:) :D :D :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by allenwayne: Wasn't it the one about the guy that invented the toilet. Thomas crapper was his name
If you ever get a chance to come out our way, be sure to reserve a couple hours to take the "Seattle Underground Tour." Among many other interesting things, you'll learn all you could wish about the history of that invention, and see one of the original models on display. :eek:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

brandonlahman,

What do you think the year (or decade) of construction was for the apartment complex you asking about?

al hildenbrand
Member # 333

posted August 25, 2005 11:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brandonlahman,

What do you think the year (or decade) of construction was for the apartment complex you asking about?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would assume these apartments are no older than 20-30 years old

but then again i could be wrong.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Well, taking 30 years, and allowing for slowness of adoption of the NEC by the jurisdiction that the apartment building is in, I grab my 1971 NEC and find:
1971 NEC
210-22(b) Dwelling-Type Occupancies.
. . .At least one wall receptacle outlet shall be installed in the bathroom adjacent to the basin location. . . .

jwelectric

Originally posted by al hildenbrand:
Well, taking 30 years, and allowing for slowness of adoption of the NEC by the jurisdiction that the apartment building is in, I grab my 1971 NEC and find:
1971 NEC
210-22(b) Dwelling-Type Occupancies.
. . .At least one wall receptacle outlet shall be installed in the bathroom adjacent to the basin location. . . .
All we had in that year was a wash pan that sits on a board on the back porch. Would that count?

We did have running water on rainy days because I would always run down to the creek and back when it was raining or we would just catch the water that was ?running? off the roof.
:D :D

upon further investigation i found out that these apartments were built in either 1965 or 1966 they are not sure of the exact year however they are certain that is one of these two years. so looking back in those years codebooks you guys find out what in regaurds to outlets in bathrooms?

thanks

dillon3c

I grew up in a brick-rancher,built new in 1963,w/ two baths.
Both (2)bathroom receptacles were built into,and part of the light fixtures themselves.
No receptacle device in the wall,adjacent to sink,and I don't believe GFCI protected.

We never had to reset,anything through the years..

*This might have something to do,with no receptacles device in your bathroom wall..

*Maybe this lighting fixture in your current bathroom,had infact been replaced over the years..

Can't tell you about code in 1963, being I was only 3 years old. But can't fathom either, this nice home being built and not meeting the current NEC requirements, of that date..

Hand-held hair dryers were still missing from the bathroom,and not yet invented back then.*Only thing @ that date maybe, the Electric Razor for the shaving purposes, used at and around the bathroom sink area?

go figure..

Edited for spelling..

[ August 31, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

highkvoltage

Years ago didn't they allow the light fixture with a outlet built into it count as the bathroom outlet. If you look at like that then assume that the light fixture was replaced you would end up with a bathroom with no outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.